Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Quick Question: is there any reason to get the 2.7Ghz version instead of the 2.4 Ghz one? I somewhere read (think it was anandtech) that the UI lag is not due to GPU problems but Software and not enough single thread power - would the 2.7Ghz version help?

ru7hl355

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2013
Scotland
You can never have too much power :D.

Seriously though, I would get the 2.7GHz CPU for that little bit more grunt buts thats me, depends on how much CPU intensive stuff your going to be doing, if its just browsing the net, email, occasional PS then the 2.4ghz would be fine.

i guess it comes down to justifying the extra $600 for 0.3ghz difference?

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
It depends....

The cost to upgrade 100MHz is not worth it, but if you need the extra processing power for specific CPU tasks, get it. For almost every task you'll do, you won't notice a difference. I work with a lot of video encoding and have found that the upgraded processor saves me a few minutes on some tasks. If you're not doing something like that I would save the money...

----------

any system lag is due to Mountain Lion and software optimization. I've been running Mavericks for awhile now and have had no problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.