Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of Tuesday's media event, Apple has revised its Built-in Apps page for the iPhone 5s to reveal the full set of new iOS 7-themed icons for the six iLife and iWork apps offered for iOS. The new GarageBand and iPhoto icons had appeared in the Settings app on some users' devices last week.

ilife_ios_7_icons.jpg
Aside from the new icons, the updated page also reveals in a footnote that GarageBand will become a free basic download for all iOS 7 devices, joining the other five iLife and iWork apps that became free alongside the release of iOS 7.

GarageBand will, however, include in-app purchase content from Apple, with additional instruments and sounds available for a fee. Licensing fees associated with some of those sounds had been the presumed reason why GarageBand was left out the original move to make Apple's iLife and iWork apps for iOS free of charge, and it appears that the company has settled on in-app purchases as a way around this issue, offering basic functionality for free and then premium content through the paid upgrade options.
GarageBand is free on the App Store for all iOS 7 compatible devices; additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available with an in-app purchase. iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated on or after September 1, 2013.
Each of the new entries for the iLife and iWork apps contains a link to a dedicated page that will give full details on the new versions of the apps, but those pages are not yet live. The brief blurbs for each app do, however, point to new features such as photo books and prints for iPhoto and new "iMovie Theater" functionality for iMovie.

iwork_ios_7_icons.jpg
Apple is expected to unveil the new apps at Tuesday's media event as part of a broad set of updates to iLife and iWork for both Mac and iOS, as well as new web-based iWork for iCloud offerings. Other announcements should include updated iPad and iPad mini lineups, new Retina MacBook Pros, and the official introduction of Apple's redesigned Mac Pro, as well as a final look at OS X Mavericks before its public launch in the coming days.

Update: Apple has reverted the changes to the page, removing the new text and icons.

(Thanks, Julien!)

Article Link: GarageBand for iOS 7 to Become Free with In-App Purchases as Apple Reveals Full Set of New iLife and iWork Icons

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Will this be a free update for those who already purchased it?

Website also shows same old iOS 6 style design, who cares about a new icon if it's same old design

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So is GarageBand free for all devices running iOS 7 or just new devices?

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I like the new icons! I never use them on my iPhone though, screen's too small, and I really need a physical keyboard if I'm typing a lot (on Pages).

landroverz7

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Freeeeee

Apple make it easy for yourself and just make all iLife and iWork apps free instead of, "qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated on or after September 1, 2013".

Rettun1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I hope that apps themselves still look great, I think some of the intuitiveness may be lost with a redesign but I hope I'm wrong

Im sure iOS 7 will grow on me over the years to come, but I kinda miss how everything was in iOS 6 and earlier :(

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Im curious to see whether and what apple will update OS X versions of iWorks on tuesday to accompany the iOS versions. Excited, cannot wait!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So, a big **** YOU to people who paid for the apps?

Typical.

How is that any different than say DirecTV running a promotion offering NFL Sunday Ticket for free to new customers?

----------

i dont understand why apple isnt simply making them free in general. such cheaps!

And then App developers will complain that software is being devalued and no one will want to pay for apps anymore.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
i dont understand why apple isnt simply making them free in general. such cheaps!

They shouldn't be free for all. Free for new device purchases is right on. Apples apps should be what drives hardware purchases. Now you get all of Apple's best when you buy a new iOS device. Totally appropriate.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Apple doing in-app purchases? They better not take anything away from people who paid for all of these apps. According to the article, it seems like it is just additional content that they couldn't license for free, so I think this will be OK.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
MacRumours you are a bit slow

Various websites have had the change of icon stories for the last couple of days. Usually MacRumours leads with the Apple news but this time they are days behind.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

Typical.

Waaaaaah, waaaaaah, waaaaaaah.

I paid for these apps, and I also think it's great they are free for current and future iOS device buyers.

Stop whining. Their making these free isn't a slight to people who paid for them, but rather a bonus to people who buy the latest iOS devices.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Various websites have had the change of icon stories for the last couple of days. Usually MacRumours leads with the Apple news but this time they are days behind.

Hmm...I thought MR had a sidebar story about the icon changes last week. Anyway surprised they're actually reporting something before 9to5Mac. How often does that happen?

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Seriously?

Typical.

As far as I know, free with new iPhones. And, seriously? So Apple can never change the price of their products, ever?

What about those who bought the MacBook Air one week before the price drop of $100?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.