Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_roundup-250x251.jpg
Following a Tweet last month in which he hinted at an updated Apple TV arriving sometime this month, former TechCrunch writer MG Siegler is now "pouring a small amount of water" on his own claim, suggesting that major changes to Apple's television-related hardware are not yet ready to be shown.
Well, now I feel the need to pour a little -- just a little, mind you -- cold water on the rumor fire. While I still haven't heard anything concrete, the most recent whispers I have heard is that the Apple TV project has been delayed a bit.

That doesn't mean we won't see an Apple TV update at the event -- we could see an updated unit with a spec bump or something. But the thing to be more excited about, the device with some sort of newfangled control system, doesn't seem like it's ready just yet.
Siegler notes that he had originally heard about a new Apple TV hardware (not a television set) targeted for a November launch, but that the information was not concrete enough to warrant a full article at the time. Given the publicity his original Tweet garnered, however, he has felt the need to address the issue now that it appears his original information is unlikely to pan out on that timetable.

Last month, 9to5Mac separately reported that Apple has been testing Xbox Kinect-like motion control for televisions, though it was unclear if that would make its way to the Apple TV set-top box or was being held for a standalone Apple television set farther in the future.

Apple will hold a media event this Tuesday, October 22 where it is expected to unveil both the fifth-generation iPad and the second-generation iPad mini, along with other Apple products such as OS X Mavericks, the new Mac Pro, and updated Retina MacBook Pros.

Article Link: Apple Not Yet Ready to Show Major Revamp of Apple TV Hardware

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Maybe Tim will give us a little "One more thing" of his own on Tuesday. Apple TV is a great device that potentially can be something a lot better.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Maybe Tim will give us a little "One more thing" of his own on Tuesday. Apple TV is a great device that potentially can be something a lot better.

I'm hoping for a "Wait, what's this behind my ear?"

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
...Siegler notes that he had originally heard about a new Apple TV hardware (not a television set) targeted for a November launch, but that the information was not concrete enough to warrant a full article at the time...

Seems to me that a lot of the front page speculation stories never have enough information to warrant a full article, half article, or even a mention on the front page. I know the site is MacRumors, but a little more real information, and a little less speculation would be highly appreciated.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011

there is no more "one more thing." It's more like, "Thank you folks, have a great day."

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Of course there is no "major revamp" of a new generation of ATVs. If one was coming up soon, we would have heard gazillions of rumors and leaked screenshots of the product (parts) by now.

SunshineFires

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
Am I the only one that gets confused about what they are referring to (the set top box or the actual TV) when articles mention Apple TV? Lol

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
How do you play the ripped DVDs?

There's a thread or something on the site somewhere that explains how. You basically need your DVDs and HandBrake, an application you can find with an easy Google search. You can do Blu-ray as well, but you need MakeMKV for that. Then you can use various software -- Subler, Meta Z -- to put appropriate tags on them. Almost as good as iTunes purchases. Only drawback is you can't stream them from anywhere like you can iTunes purchases now on iOS devices and Apple TV.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
How do you play the ripped DVDs?

Simply drag the ripped DVDs (in mp4 format using Handbrake) into iTunes and use 'Computers' on the Apple TV. It's the main reason I use Apple TV. All my daughter's Disney movies are on Apple TV so she doesn't scratch them. (2 became unusable due to scratches and I had to buy new copies before I went the Apple TV route)

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
There's a thread or something on the site somewhere that explains how. You basically need your DVDs and HandBrake, an application you can find with an easy Google search. You can do Blu-ray as well, but you need MakeMKV for that. Then you can use various software -- Subler, Meta Z -- to put appropriate tags on them. Almost as good as iTunes purchases. Only drawback is you can't stream them from anywhere like you can iTunes purchases now on iOS devices and Apple TV.

I thought the person who I quoted was saying you could actually play them on the Apple TV somehow. I don't see how it's possible.

EDIT: Whoops, posted too soon.

Simply drag the ripped DVDs (in mp4 format using Handbrake) into iTunes and use 'Computers' on the Apple TV. It's the main reason I use Apple TV. All my daughter's Disney movies are on Apple TV so she doesn't scratch them. (2 became unusable due to scratches and I had to buy new copies before I went the Apple TV route)

Oh, you use the Computers feature. Clever!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Seems to me that a lot of the front page speculation stories never have enough information to warrant a full article, half article, or even a mention on the front page. I know the site is MacRumors, but a little more real information, and a little less speculation would be highly appreciated.

So don't report on rumors.... got it. :)

Seriously though. It's not like rumors are published at the cost of "real" information.

arn

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Of course there is no "major revamp" of a new generation of ATVs. If one was coming up soon, we would have heard gazillions of rumors and leaked screenshots of the product (parts) by now.

That's what I was thinking also. He found out he was wrong and is now pulling a CYA just like the analysts love to do

JoshAlfie

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
I thought the person who I quoted was saying you could actually play them on the Apple TV somehow. I don't see how it's possible.

EDIT: Whoops, posted too soon.

Oh, you use the Computers feature. Clever!

Better than that is to use Plex. No need to convert to mp4.. You can run Full HD movies (mkv) on your iDevice and AirPlay it to your TV without quality loss.

That's what I do anyway :)

jertronic

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
I lucked out with receiving an apple tv for christmas 2012. I was the lucky benefactor of the exchange program when Apple allowed the free exchange of certain serial number models for the new "silent update" version machine. I did this in May if I remember correctly Very pleased with the all around experience and performance of this apple TV.

My 7 year old wanted to watch his episodes of Crash & Bernstein on Netflix tonight. I wanted to watch NFL on main TV so I moved the ATV upstairs to a bedroom tv. Easy Peasy 1 cable and power cord. Moved it back after he went to bed and the whole process took ~75 seconds.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Are you guys going to be super disappointed if all the new one does is have AC wireless? Isn't the only difference between 2 and 3 that it went from 720P to 1080P?

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Don't you actually have to buy movies to play them on Apple TV? 5th.

You can rent as well as buy, rip and stream, Airplay, HBOGO, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

----------

Are you guys going to be super disappointed if all the new one does is have AC wireless? Isn't the only difference between 2 and 3 that it went from 720P to 1080P?

I'd be happy with AC wireless...and as far as the "only" difference between 2 and 3...720P to 1080P isn't big enough for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.