Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skerfan2284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Hello!

I just got a warranty replacement for my iphone 5 from the Apple Store. Phone is in immaculate condition. However, when I have it plugged in..the touch screen is almost always unresponsive. So much in fact that I have to unplug it from the charger to swipe to unlock. When I unplug it, everything works fine. Could this be because of the charger, or is it something ios 7 related, or is it a hardware issue? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
Hello!

I just got a warranty replacement for my iphone 5 from the Apple Store. Phone is in immaculate condition. However, when I have it plugged in..the touch screen is almost always unresponsive. So much in fact that I have to unplug it from the charger to swipe to unlock. When I unplug it, everything works fine. Could this be because of the charger, or is it something ios 7 related, or is it a hardware issue? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Has happened to me before with multiple phones. It's always been a defective or cheap charger.

skerfan2284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Has happened to me before with multiple phones. It's always been a defective or cheap charger.

I wondered if that was it. My wife has an iphone 5 and never had an issue. Hopefully its just the charger. I dont have time to go back to the apple store again. lol.

----------

Out of curiosity, Apple's website says i should restore ios7? Should i?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That isn't a software problem and it isn't really a problem with the iPhone. That is caused by a disruption in the capacitive field between your finger and the phone's screen. This disruption in your case is caused by the charger or the charging cable. It can sometimes be cause by the phone, cable, or charger shorting to ground. Restoring to iOS 7 will likely not correct this problem.

skerfan2284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
That isn't a software problem and it isn't really a problem with the iPhone. That is caused by a disruption in the capacitive field between your finger and the phone's screen. This disruption in your case is caused by the charger or the charging cable. It can sometimes be cause by the phone, cable, or charger shorting to ground. Restoring to iOS 7 will likely not correct this problem.

So basically you are saying it is the charger causing the issue?

skerfan2284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Possibly, if you can, try using another charger to see if the problem goes away.

Thanks. The problem is so intermittent..its hard to pinpoint. I just checked it now and its charging and it works fine.

TexasEric

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
iPhone unresponsive when charging

I had this problem with my 5S, too. When it was plugged into the wall it would sometimes be unresponsive, or even jerky when I tried to use it. I never had the problem with any other phone, iPhone, or iPad. The problem never occurred when plugged into my computer. I went so far as to have the Apple store replace the phone, charger brick, and cord. In the process, the Genius suggested I check the outlet I was using to charge. She said she had seen that this will occur sometimes when the outlet is not properly grounded. Sure enough, I was able track my issue down to an outlet that was NOT grounded (I always use the same outlet for charging). I fixed the outlet and fixed my problem. Hope this helps...

SvnTwoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for ideas here, solved my problem.

I came across this thread when searching for answers to why my iPhone 5s was responding poorly to touch. I eventually determined it was an issue with my laptop (Dell Latitude E5430) USB ports and grounding, the phone would charge and seemed to react normal when plugged into my laptop USB. Touch was sluggish and non responsive on my 5s when plugged in, unplug it and it was normal again, plug it in to the laptop and it was like clockwork and acted up again.

Atleast I assume it is a grounding issue, however with only a two prong plug for wall 110v charger I am not sure how it plays all that much of a roll. I will have to send my laptop in to our IT team and have them evaluate it.

I did not believe it until I tried it twenty different times and every time it was plugged into the laptop it acted up and immediately was normal when I unplugged it.

mish7x

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
I've had my iPhone 5 for two years

I've been having the same problem lately. I recently bought a cheap cord and charger block from walmart to use temporarily. After reading the comments I moved to an outlet in a different room which didn't solve the issue. So I tried using a different charger block and now everything works fine (mostly). Sometimes my phone screen will still act funky, as in be unresponsive or intermittently responsive, even when it isn't charging. I'm afraid it may have affected my phone permanently :( But the real problem must have been the faulty block. Sidenote: the block also prevented charging of an iPad. It recognized that it was plugged in but would say 'not charging'.

JoePlayz

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2017
165 Subs and Counting!
Hello! I did some researching and found out that this issue was caused by your iPhone case. If you remove your case and try to charge, it will not be unresponsive. Try to remove the case and put on the case and try to charge. Changing the cover to another one fixed my issue!

Reactions: Tgrant

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am pretty sure
Hello! I did some researching and found out that this issue was caused by your iPhone case. If you remove your case and try to charge, it will not be unresponsive. Try to remove the case and put on the case and try to charge. Changing the cover to another one fixed my issue!

I am sure they got this worked out a couple of years ago:cool:

xDelphinex

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017

This was definitely my issue! I've had touch screen response problems on my iPhone SE when plugged in on multiple different outlets with multiple different Apple charging blocks and cords. Removing my ancient case completely resolved the issue.

Now that I think about it, the problem started right around when I last cleaned my case with alcohol.

Thanks for your research!

Reactions: Tgrant

lazzalady

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
[doublepost=1500455373][/doublepost]You know what? I read your post, having same problem, and removed the case just to see, and it totally worked! Thanks!

peterjsdev

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2019

Perfect! Removed my case, problem solved. Thank you

mikeumr

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2019

Worked for me too. Now I wonder what it is about the case that does it? Even if the case is halfway on, the jerky screen returns. I removed the metal strip taped inside my case for mounting to my cars dashboard but that didn’t fix the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.