Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Presume method 1 works OK. Will find out on Friday, when I queue for an iPhone 5S and install!

Actually, I won't be testing method 1. As despite being only ~50th in line at my local Apple Store on Friday, I still missed out on getting one, highly annoyingly!
(and in the process also then missed out on the early online orders, so have to wait until sometime "October" now!!)

Thanks a lot Apple and their crap queuing fiasco, especially outside the US!
(if interested, read about it here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1643843/ )

Anyway, looks like it works as expected for you guys who did get one, as at least that's something. :)

Last edited:

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Anyone know how to download these "free" apps on a 5s? I have never received any kind of download aps screen. Also at the store I restored an icloud backup to get my device back to the way it was. So basically I have a brand new 5s and don't see any way to get these aps.

Thanks for any help
I purchased my 5s at an Apple store, and the rep had me install from my iCloud backup. When I got home, I realized that the free iWork apps were not available in the App Store. I reset the phone, but I still would have needed to purchase the apps.

I called Apple, and the tech instructed me to backup to iCloud, wipe the phone, and set it up as new. I did, and was able to install the free iWork apps, iPhoto, and iMovie.

As per the tech's instructions, I then did an "Erase All Content and Settings" and restored from my previous backup. It took a few minutes, but all apps were restored to the iPhone, including iWork, etc.

Hope this helps.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
what? i'm not doing that, that's so complicated... wtf apple

i just got a 5s and it's still saying 4.99 in the app store.

I just got a 5s the other day and I restored from my backup. I wasn't prompted to download the free apps, but when I just went to them in the App Store, Pages, Keynote and Numbers are listed as being "Free". I already owned iMovie and iPhoto.

dbanderson1

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
BUMP: Free Apps Must Be Purchased on Device

I just stumbled upon this article. I had already purchased the free iWork apps but somehow missed the iLife ones. So I logged into my computer and went to the App Store to buy them, but they were still listed as $5. When I checked on my iPhone 5C, they were free. Happy downloading!

-D

----------

Does 5s and 5c have the same camera?

Same front facing camera but the 5S has a better rear facing camera. You can compare the specs on Apple's website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.