Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Five months after it was initially announced, and after an unplanned delay due to unexpected demand, BlackBerry Messenger is finally launching on iOS. The app, which is similar to Apple's own iMessage, was first announced back in May. It should launch on the App Store later today.

Back in September, the BBM for Android and iOS apps were delayed after an unreleased version of BBM was leaked that "caused issues" with the BBM servers.

To avoid similar issues with strong demand this time around, BlackBerry is using a staggered queue system to handle the demand. Users will install the app, enter their email address to hold their spot in line, and then will receive an email when they can start using BBM.

bbm_ios.jpg
According to BlackBerry, there are still more than 60 million BBM users worldwide exchanging more than 10 billion messages per day. Though the BBM platform remains popular, it will need to compete with several other messaging services on iOS and Android, including WhatsApp and WeChat. WhatsApp alone has more than 300 million active users, sending 27 billion messages daily.

BlackBerry Messenger offers basic text chats, multi-person group chats, voice messaging (via push-to-talk), and image sharing. Contacts can be added via BBM PIN, SMS, email, or QR code. Users are asked to set up a profile, which includes an image, nickname, and status.

Update: The app is live: BBM is available free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: After Numerous Delays, BlackBerry Messenger for iOS to Launch Today [Update: Released]

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I was looking forward to it but not after using my friends account to download it. Not that well polished IMO and anyone who has a BB probably has WhatsApp (in my circle at least).

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
if this came out a few years ago, it would have been better for blackberry since blacberry users could communitcate with their iphone/android friends.

now, most people have switched so as a previous poster said...to little to late for blacberry.

as much as i support a canadian company, they're more an embarrassment to CAnada then anything else

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I am the only person that I personally know in real life that doesn't have an iPhone. :eek: So yeah, I don't need it either.

My dad had a Blackberry for like 6 months. He HATED the thing, and said so pretty much everyday.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I'll use it...

Like iMessage but compatible between all devices.

I know people that still have Blackberrys so being able to BBM them will be cool.

So many haters... now I really don't need to pay for texts. I am aware WhatsApp exists but so few people use it. At least BBM is something a lot of people know about.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Aren't there any images of BBM on iOS? I am curious as to how it looks.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
My dad has an iPhone 5 for personal use and a Blackberry for work, but the company just changed to giving their employees a choice between the 5C and a Galaxy S3. He's getting a 5C.

Moral of the story: no one, not even businesses, care about Blackberry anymore. Shame to see them falling apart, but that's what happens when you don't keep up.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
...so now all of my Saudi students who have an iPhone but keep their Blackberries b/c of BBM have absolutely no reason to keep their Blackberries? Smart move....

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I was going to jump into this thread and make some mean comment about how no one cares, but others beat me to it. :(

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
It was rather late to the game. That's BlackBerry's problem living in the past. Sure, they were an astronomical power back in the day, but there are way too many options in today's world. FaceBook messenger, whatsapp, iMessage, what's the point of BB messenger? :confused:

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Most people use what app or iMessage so there is no need for blackberry messenger at all really just pointless really a waste of time even bother for the development of the program all together

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.