Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The CEO in the article readily admits that he has no confirmation of the product to be released. He is working on second-hand supply chain information, which is about 1 step away from manufacturing a case based on the images on rumor sites. I would not get too caught up on this.
We got one or two of these (Gumdrop) for the iPad mini soon after release. They did pretty well, fit was fine and they lasted until now. But the emails! Had to unsubscribe from their list since they sent too many and all drivel.

And to answer other posters, the reason to have bulky, ugly cases is because of kids. The adults in the house use different products.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Sorry but what consumer will wanna buy a case that was manufactured based on rumors? Even if the shape/size is accurate, this is a slippery slope as the company CANNOT say it was product-tested.

The ones who would rather have a slightly off case (if even that) rather than no case at all for the first month or so...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
(These drop tests always crack me up)

If manufactures have to take a gamble on "exact size to fit", then they must have allot of wasted designs,

Last edited:

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
Otterbox did this with the Defender for the 5 last year. It wasn't perfect by any means. Then, once they got their hands on the real thing, it improved. This year, they banked on Touch ID and left the bottom plastic portion off. They should've done away with the top portion also.

What they didn't do correctly, was account for the side swipes for navigating through Safari. I'd hate to be in the case business.

----------

Top-shelf cases like Speck and such don't design on a hunch...

Agreed. They're sold in Apple Stores, are packaged with the "Made for iPhone/iPad label" and are pretty much dead on the money with dimensions. I picked a Candyshell up last year on release day at Target and it was flawlessly perfect.

RicD

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
USA
Hum, utilize.

MacRumors,
Sorry, I missed the memo that must have stated, "instead of utilizing use we will now utilize utilize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.