Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colorex

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
Because Thunderbolt is incredibly expensive, and USB 3 is plenty fast for this purpose.

I'll buy the argument on safety for the retina MacBook Pro given all of the crap that I had to study in order to take and pass the "MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 Retina) Qualification Exam" (I work as an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician at an Apple Authorized Service Provider and in order for us to be able to service that machine, we needed to take and pass that exam, which is the only discrete exam required to service a specific product), but given that those same screws are featured on the MacBook Airs from Late 2010 and newer and given that said machine is much safer to service, I don't fully buy that argument. As for why they didn't incorporate those screws on the pre-retina Unibody design, Apple tends to make more subtle changes in internal designs from rev to rev, while the major changes tend to be done when a new design is unveiled. Bottom case design (and thusly, choice of screws) fell into the latter category of changes. Still though, whether it be for safety or for control, it's a poor design. Plain and simple. Compromises to function were made for form and as someone who values Apple for its form:function ratio, this is a bad move no matter what adjectives are used to describe it.

----------

Free to me for ordering the drive. Ha!

Really! Where do we meet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.