Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1957GoldTop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
What iPad/iPhone app offers the best remote file access to my mac? I'm looking for "Back to my mac" type remote file browsing while on a remote network.

Basically, I'm looking for exactly what the Dropbox app is, but for my Mac's filesystem, not just dropbox. I'm not looking to control my mac, just simply browse through files and folders.

There are many apps that can control your mac, it seems like a no-brainer to have one that allows you to browse the file system… am I just not finding it?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Team viewer is free and works for Mac. It allows full remote control and file transfers.

1957GoldTop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Thanks for the response...

Team Viewer looks like another "remote control" app where I would see the actually GUI of the Mac. I'm looking for a file/folder browser.

Something exactly like Dropbox, or iFiles, etc... but with access to a remote computer.

1957GoldTop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
I'm amazed that what I'm looking for doesn't exist. There are some pretty useless apps out there and I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who wants this.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
TeamViewer has a file transfer section of the app. But you dont want the GUI along with it. But it would indeed get the job done.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Have you looked at "Files Connect" or "FileExplorer"? I know I can browse my files from within my local network....haven't tried it from remote networks....you would have to open ports on your router as a minimum and set up port forwarding - not sure if these apps allow that or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.