Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its Worldwide Developers Conference in June, Apple introduced iWork for iCloud, a browser-based version of its productivity suite of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. The service has been in beta testing since that time, and the company is widely expected to make an official announcement about its launch at today's media event, alongside new versions of iWork for both OS X and iOS.

pages_icloud_updating.jpg
Confirming that iWork for iCloud should officially launch today immediately following Apple's media event, users attempting to access the iWork apps on iCloud.com are currently being greeted with messages alerting them that the service is being upgraded and that in "just a few short hours" they will have access to the new features.

(Thanks, Mario!)

Article Link: Apple Touts iWork for iCloud Upgrades Coming in 'Just a Few Short Hours'

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
What's the difference between a short hour, an hour and a long hour?

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute -- then it's longer than any hour. That's relativity!"

They want to to 'feel' that Pages for iCloud is that pretty girl ;)

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
You know, this all smells like a Mavericks release. Please give us Mavericks today, Apple!

kidintown

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
yes. i so hope we get completely new redesigned iWork suites for iOS and OS X. i think we can be sure about getting it. they also said at the wwdc keynote 'web iwork, including completely new mac apps' (if i remember correctly).

new aperture and updated apps like iPhoto, etc. would be awesome too.

can't wait for the keynote!

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I don't understand why there isn't a "Photos" icon on iCloud.com that gives you your photostream as well as current public/shared albums. It seems so obvious since the content already is in iCloud, and would help a lot with copy & pasting those pesky shared album links on the desktop. Trying to get the album links from iPhone to desktop is more annoying that it should be...

although I wouldn't say no to Clipboard in iCloud on OS X + iOS either

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

If you are spending an hour with a hot girl/boy = Short hour

If you are driving someplace and it takes an hour

If your Mom or Dad are lecturing you or you are at school waiting to get out = long hour!

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I know iWork for iCloud is in beta and all, but if Apple really wants people to use this for real work they need to learn that a multiple-hour outage in the middle of the work day is not acceptable. I don't care if they're adding "exciting" new features that are "revolutionary." When it comes to productivity apps, reliability trumps new features. They need to learn to do these roll outs without shutting the service down for an indeterminate time. I sure don't seem to recall Google ever doing this. This kind of move just screams that the whole thing is nothing more than a service used by toys, even if it is in beta.

kidintown

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
I think Aperture is effectively dead, my friend. Lightroom is light years ahead now.

i don't use aperture anymore because it's so freaking slow on my mac. i do hope that there's still a aperture x coming out. many thought logic is dead too and then it came as x. fingers crossed

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I don't understand why there isn't a "Photos" icon on iCloud.com that gives you your photostream as well as current public/shared albums. It seems so obvious since the content already is in iCloud, and would help a lot with copy & pasting those pesky shared album links on the desktop. Trying to get the album links from iPhone to desktop is more annoying that it should be...

I would love to see iMessage or FaceTime support as well. Would be amazing to be able to access these on just any computer. That could come in handy.

I know iWork for iCloud is in beta and all, but if Apple really wants people to use this for real work they need to learn that a multiple-hour outage in the middle of the work day is not acceptable. I don't care if they're adding "exciting" new features that are "revolutionary." When it comes to productivity apps, reliability trumps new features. They need to learn to do these roll outs without shutting the service down for an indeterminate time. I sure don't seem to recall Google ever doing this. This kind of move just screams that the whole thing is nothing more than a service used by toys, even if it is in beta.

I totally agree. They could have at least announced it to everyone. This is precisely the thing that makes a move to cloud apps risky.

kidintown

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
the fact that there will be (probably) new software tonight for mac and iOS i am excited. something to play :)

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
i totally agree. They could have at least announced it to everyone. This is precisely the thing that makes a move to apple's cloud apps risky.

ftfy.

I have never had any problem with any of google's offerings.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
I would love to see iMessage or FaceTime support as well. Would be amazing to be able to access these on just any computer. That could come in handy.

I don't understand the motivation. Doesn't pretty much everyone who might want to use these apps already have an iOS device with them at all times? When would you actually need to use iWork/iMessage/etc. on some random PC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.