Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
USA
tech-apple-october-22-jpg.jpg

Apple Patent Envisions a Smart Cover With Built-In Display, Keyboard
Apple patent filed August 11, 2011:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012...s-smart-cover-with-built-in-display-keyboard/

Thoughts?

Last edited:

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
USA
It's an interesting thought. I've been researching iPad keyboard tech lately, as I plan to sell my 2013 MacBook Air ASAP and will purchase an "iPad 5" to use for the majority of my mobile email and productivity.

I came across the above-linked article and got to thinking about Apple's latest "more to cover" invitation -- it sure would be nice to have an Apple-produced keyboard cover to work with.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
It's an interesting thought. I've been researching iPad keyboard tech lately, as I plan to sell my 2013 MacBook Air ASAP and will purchase an "iPad 5" to use for the majority of my mobile email and productivity.

I came across the above-linked article and got to thinking about Apple's latest "more to cover" invitation -- it sure would be nice to have an Apple-produced keyboard cover to work with.

Wait are there any non apple alternatives? Also just occurred to me... I'm getting a mini and I'd be willing to bet if anything like this comes out it would be for the 5 only seeing as the mini is a different size... darn.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Wait are there any non apple alternatives? Also just occurred to me... I'm getting a mini and I'd be willing to bet if anything like this comes out it would be for the 5 only seeing as the mini is a different size... darn.

Logitech and others produce keyboard cases/covers for both the iPad and iPad Mini, however I haven't come across any that are thin enough for my taste. I'm sure the usual suspects will produce iPad 5- and Mini-sized products in short order (assuming the Mini would require any changes).

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Logitech and others produce keyboard cases/covers for both the iPad and iPad Mini, however I haven't come across any that are thin enough for my taste. I'm sure the usual suspects will produce iPad 5- and Mini-sized products in short order (assuming the Mini would require any changes).

I would argue there's a huge difference between the cases most people have and a design anything close to this. And even if a mini version is produced, it has to have smaller keys but I suppose I would get used to them.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Unfortunately, I have a feeling the invitation is referring to the new Smart Cover colors purported to be revealed here:
Youtube link

----------

I would argue there's a huge difference between the cases most people have and a design anything close to this. And even if a mini version is produced, it has to have smaller keys but I suppose I would get used to them.

I agree -- I was referring solely to the keyboard part. It looks like that patent goes far above and beyond anything out there currently.

wmitch

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
I would like to see a keyboard cover that will lock in multiple positions like a laptop hinge. Don't know if it's possible but that would make using it on the go feel more natural. Current keyboard designs are a pain to use on your lap.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Unfortunately, I have a feeling the invitation is referring to the new Smart Cover colors purported to be revealed here:
Youtube link

----------

I agree -- I was referring solely to the keyboard part. It looks like that patent goes far above and beyond anything out there currently.

Oh I mean I meant the same haha. Looking even at just the keyboard design of the current keyboards, I have yet to see anything as slick as this would be. They're all quite bulky.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Youtube link

I really hope that's not the new smart cover, I want the magnet bars to be covered like they are on the mini smart cover. On both my iPad 2 and 3, those metal bars eventually ended up scratching the iPad.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I would like if it was solid and used a stronger magnetic hinge that allowed it to open and stay open like a laptop. In this case it would have to be as heavy as the iPad itself to keep it from tipping over - so stick an extra battery inside doubling the iPad battery to 20 hours with the dock.

The surface type covers are OK - but they require the tablet to stand on its own. The logitech ultrathin cover is alright but only allows for a single angle and requires you to pull the iPad off of the hinge and place it in the stand. The ideal solution IMO is like the Asus Transformer but with a strong magnet rather than the simple docking port and stand.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I dunno. There are so many 3rd party keyboard solutions, I'm not sure Apple needs to sell their own. Yes, Apple makes cases as do 3rd parties, but nonetheless I'm not sure people are clamoring for a 1st party solution.

Maybe it's just me, though. This is why I don't run Apple I suppose.

TheBing1980

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Michigan
I would like to see a keyboard cover that will lock in multiple positions like a laptop hinge. Don't know if it's possible but that would make using it on the go feel more natural. Current keyboard designs are a pain to use on your lap.

That would be awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.