Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
I have a mid-2009 13" MBP that I love and have been looking to replace. I got it with 8GB RAM and the SSD drive. I was planning to buy the new 2013 one but wait - what's that? Four years later and I can still only get 8GB of RAM? I don't need processor speed as much as RAM. What is the hitch in the RAM? How soon will it be possible for me to get a 13" MBP with 16GB? If I could live with 8GB, I would get a MBA.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I find it hard to believe anyone needs 16gb of ram, are you actually maxing it out with your current 8gb? Activity monitor allows you to check i have 16gb in my rMBP and run parallels all day and still would be fine with 8

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I find it hard to believe anyone needs 16gb of ram, are you actually maxing it out with your current 8gb? Activity monitor allows you to check i have 16gb in my rMBP and run parallels all day and still would be fine with 8

My PowerMac was slow as heck before I upgraded my 8GB to 12GB and I will soon be upgrading to 20GB, and hoping it works. At 4GB any computer is slow like a turtle.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
My PowerMac was slow as heck before I upgraded my 8GB to 12GB and I will soon be upgrading to 20GB, and hoping it works. At 4GB any computer is slow like a turtle.

Not true at all, it depends on how much ram is being used, 4gb is fine for light use and with fully quitting apps not in use

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Not true at all, it depends on how much ram is being used, 4gb is fine for light use and with fully quitting apps not in use

My mom's cMBP 2012 has word and safari open, everything else quitted, and it is continuously giving the beach ball and can barely scroll and it takes a few seconds for words to show up in word. It has 23KB of free RAM.

----------

I have a mid-2009 13" MBP that I love and have been looking to replace. I got it with 8GB RAM and the SSD drive. I was planning to buy the new 2013 one but wait - what's that? Four years later and I can still only get 8GB of RAM? I don't need processor speed as much as RAM. What is the hitch in the RAM? How soon will it be possible for me to get a 13" MBP with 16GB? If I could live with 8GB, I would get a MBA.

You can solder on new RAM, as I don't believe it is BGA.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I find it hard to believe anyone needs 16gb of ram, are you actually maxing it out with your current 8gb?

What a close-minded statement. There are lots of people who use their MBPs for more than Safari/Mail/iTunes. Virtual machines, scientific applications, working with large files, etc. All those things can use up 8GB very fast. I use more than 8GB all the time.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
You have a serious issue with your computer if this is the case

My mom's cMBP 2012 has word and safari open, everything else quitted, and it is continuously giving the beach ball and can barely scroll and it takes a few seconds for words to show up in word. It has 23KB of free RAM.

----------

You can solder on new RAM, as I don't believe it is BGA.

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ

Sorry for the delay in replying but I do max out my RAM because I am a huge multi-tasker and I do manipulate photos, databases, and always have way to many windows open. Yes, I have tried to alter how I work but will be happy when the machine supports me, not limits me.

----------

What a close-minded statement. There are lots of people who use their MBPs for more than Safari/Mail/iTunes. Virtual machines, scientific applications, working with large files, etc. All those things can use up 8GB very fast. I use more than 8GB all the time.

Thanks for chiming in. Hoping for 16GB MBPr tomorrow ...

----------

The cMBP can go to 16GB.

But I only want a 13" ... Hopefully, in the morning, my wish will come true!

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA

You've been able to add 16GB to the 13" MBP since 2010 model

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

I find it hard to believe that people probably said the same thing about 2 gigs of RAM back in the day and still are naive enough to think that nobody will ever need more than 8 gb. Or are you short sighted enough to not realize the guy might want to use that computer for the next 4-5 years, can you imagine how much RAM future operating systems and software will require? A computer with 8 GB that can't be upgraded will be obsolete in no time.

I had 4 GB on my 2010 MBP and with just Safari open on a clean install of Mountain Lion, I got tons of page outs. I had to go to 8 GB of RAM.

Why be an apologist for Apple? If the guy wants more RAM, why argue against it? RAM is one thing where you truly can't have enough, and I too think it's bogus you can't get a 13" retina with 16 GB. Hopefully later today we can, but I doubt it.

And no, my wife isn't interested in the bulky classic with the 2008 screen on it.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
If you'd bothered to read the OP (which you obviously haven't), you'd know he has a 2009 MBP, which CANNOT go past 8GB due to hardware limitations.

Sorry, I think you're the one who didn't read the OP.

"I was planning to buy the new 2013 one but wait - what's that? Four years later and I can still only get 8GB of RAM? I don't need processor speed as much as RAM. What is the hitch in the RAM? How soon will it be possible for me to get a 13" MBP with 16GB? If I could live with 8GB, I would get a MBA."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.