Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeymike88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Hey guys,

I just got a MCE optibay for my late 2011 unibody MBP. I currently have a 1TB WD hard drive and ordered a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I was planning on putting the SSD in the main hard drive bay and the 1TB HD in the optibay.

My question is about cloning. I was planning on cloning the hard drive to the SSD to run OS X, apps, etc from the SSD, but I want to keep my music and pictures on the HD. Can I use Carbon copy cloner to only copy over everything except for my Music and Pictures folders? And then just leave those on the HD and delete everything else on there? I can't clone the entire HD to the SSD because it is larger than 256GB, which is why I want to only clone part of it.

Is there a better way to do this? Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
Hey guys,

I just got a MCE optibay for my late 2011 unibody MBP. I currently have a 1TB WD hard drive and ordered a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I was planning on putting the SSD in the main hard drive bay and the 1TB HD in the optibay.

My question is about cloning. I was planning on cloning the hard drive to the SSD to run OS X, apps, etc from the SSD, but I want to keep my music and pictures on the HD. Can I use Carbon copy cloner to only copy over everything except for my Music and Pictures folders? And then just leave those on the HD and delete everything else on there? I can't clone the entire HD to the SSD because it is larger than 256GB, which is why I want to only clone part of it.

Is there a better way to do this? Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

CCC can omit specific files, but I'm not sure if a copy made that way will be bootable. Perhaps somebody can confirm.

mikeymike88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah that's what I was wondering too. If I do it that way, will it still be bootable?

Or is there a better/easier way to do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.