Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its media event today, Apple announced that OS X Mavericks, the next version of its Macintosh operating system, will launch today on the Mac App Store. Mavericks will be available exclusively through the Mac App Store for free.

mavericks2.jpg
As we covered in our Mavericks roundup, the new OS will include enhanced multiple-monitor support, big improvements to the Notification Center, an improved Finder, better power management, and improved performance in Safari.

Mavericks also includes a number of brand new features, including a new iCloud Keychain function to save passwords across iOS and Mac devices, new Mac apps for iBooks and Apple Maps, along with UI redesigns for a number of built-in applications.

Article Link: Apple Will Release OS X Mavericks Today as Free Download

MacMilligan

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
That's great. Apple didn't have to do this, but it is a nice touch for Mac users. I'm guessing they want to go to a more iOS-like updating scheme. Its one more way that makes the upgrading process easier for people.

foqus555

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2006
Will Mavericks load on machine "back on Snow Leopard"

My question: The keynote says that "If you're back on Snow Leopard (10.6), it's free".

My old school iMac, 2.16 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR 2 sdram, running Lion (10.7) could not handle Mountain Lion. It would not even allow me to download it. An older machine running Snow Leopard would CERTAINLY not be able to run Mountain Lion.

What is the point of saying you could upgrade from Snow Leopard for free, if those machines are not powerful enough to run Mavericks? UNLESS, Mavericks can run on the older machines that Mountain Lion could not run on...

Any thoughts?

Caseynd

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
ND, USA
I wonder if any of the hardware usage changes they mentioned will also affect the bootcamp side of things, or if the upgrade will break the bootcamp partition

foqus555

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2006
Have they listed minimum hardware requirements yet, for those of us with "older" machines?

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Snow Leopard was still shipping on Macbook Pro's in mid 2011. My 2011 came with snow leopard, which I upgraded to Lion, and Mountain Lion and I'm sure would handle Mavericks without any issues. I had the beta on it for quiet some time.

My question: The keynote says that "If you're back on Snow Leopard (10.6), it's free".

My old school iMac, 2.16 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR 2 sdram, running Lion (10.7) could not handle Mountain Lion. It would not even allow me to download it. An older machine running Snow Leopard would CERTAINLY not be able to run Mountain Lion.

What is the point of saying you could upgrade from Snow Leopard for free, if those machines are not powerful enough to run Mavericks? UNLESS, Mavericks can run on the older machines that Mountain Lion could not run on...

Any thoughts?

foqus555

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2006
Hmmmmm... mine probably came with Leopard then. So long ago I can't remember. Oh well, if Mountain Lion won't load, then I guess it's time for a new iMac. I think I can justify it to the wife now.

Snow Leopard was still shipping on Macbook Pro's in mid 2011. My 2011 came with snow leopard, which I upgraded to Lion, and Mountain Lion and I'm sure would handle Mavericks without any issues. I had the beta on it for quiet some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.