Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Not worth watching. They spend way too much time on non-iPad content, and the iPad part is underwhelming.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Gotta say. Phil Schiller is a disaster at these keynotes. I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for the last few, but he sucks the energy out of the room every time with his imprecise, weird, stilted cadence, and his constant mistakes and unfunny mumblings. He also comes off as arrogant.

They should take his keynote privileges away. He is not a good spokesman. He was always ok enough when SJ was carrying the presentation. Now he's just makes everybody look bad.

I thought Phil was fine. It's Tim Cook who sucks at presentations. His slow awkward cadence and lack of enthusiasm when talking kills the energy in the room. All of the other Apple presenters have the kind of "engineer geek making a presentation" charm that Tim sorely lacks.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Apple hit a home run today. With all the free iOS/OSX software they are throwing around I do believe they intend to stick around for a while.

Lots of schools order these things. Kids don't need all the bells and whistles. I think it's a smart move.

They should make an education only model then with no cameras and price it for less and not even have it available to buy on the Apple online store.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
I was hopin' for a Mac Mini refresh, but not this time. I hope it's before the holidays, because otherwise I'll have been parked for a half a year waiting to give :apple: my money.

But FINALLY a real iWork update!

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Great on the iPhone I'm sure but I bet most people couldn't care less if it was on the iPad. I would not want to pay more for a totally useless item on my next iPad!

If it were on there, you would be praising how smart Apple was to include such an essential feature that you didn't know how you could ever have gotten along without.

smarch

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I thought Phil was fine. It's Tim Cook who sucks at presentations. His slow awkward cadence and lack of enthusiasm when talking kills the energy in the room. All of the other Apple presenters have the kind of "engineer geek making a presentation" charm that Tim sorely lacks.

I agree that Tim can be a little strange in his slowness, but somehow he still brings a little gravitas, at least here and there. He is getting a little repetitive.

I just can't take Phil in these presentations for some reason. It's like he's a 3rd grader in a school play who's desperately trying to make all his cues. He goes from 0 to 60 all over the place with his superlatives and enthusiasm, so it just comes off as amateurish and fake. Meanwhile, he still seems like he's really proud of himself.

Everybody else has some charm and real excitement in their hearts. Maybe Phil's mind is on his yacht. I bet everybody at apple wants to say something, but he's too big a wig.

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY
This was one of the best events in the post-jobs era. I'm just so excited for all of the new products from hardware to software. Apple really is the best company for consumer products in the world. Thank you Apple.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I think the ipads got a solid improvement. Real solid :cool:

But rmbp entry level: 128gb ssd, 4gb ram, not customly upgradeable :eek:
Wtf??

FLee

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
iPad, Give Us What We Want ... Now!

I understand no biosensor due to limited supply, but why no 256GB or 802.11ac?
128GB is what the iPad Mini has ... No room for another 128 GB chip? or is that 6 months from now?
Please give us what we want ... Now!

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I understand no biosensor due to limited supply, but why no 256GB or 802.11ac?
128GB is what the iPad Mini has ... No room for another 128 GB chip? or is that 6 months from now?
Please give us what we want ... Now!

Don't mean to be critical, but what on earth would you need 256GB of storage on an iPad for? You do understand that content can be kept in the cloud and downloaded on demand right?

If it's music, you would be much better off to pay $24 for Match and stream your music. If it's movies, how many movies do you need to watch between visits to your computer? If it's games, how many can you play at a given time?

It seems to me that 128GB is plenty for people. But I would seriously be interested to know what you need more storage than that for.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013

Tim only gets really repetitive. It's Phil who seems to get annoying :mad:

FootOfOurStairs

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Tim only gets really repetitive. It's Phil who seems to get annoying :mad:

Not seen it all due to laggy internet, but i thought he looked nervous plus he was re presesning a bunch of stuff he had done before and better, on the Mac Pro he was left reading out the specs, His script and message were off and it showed, testimony from Mac pro users was a couple of slides with some quotes, needed some Video with emphasis on the creative, all a bit weak and rushed

----------

Writing this on my upgraded 2008 Macbook, Mavericks running, presently sucking down a load of Apps updated for iwork and others, loads of upgraded hardware, but nothing really new.

10amp

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Can't agree more.

Gotta say. Phil Schiller is a disaster at these keynotes. I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for the last few, but he sucks the energy out of the room every time with his imprecise, weird, stilted cadence, and his constant mistakes and unfunny mumblings. He also comes off as arrogant.

They should take his keynote privileges away. He is not a good spokesman. He was always ok enough when SJ was carrying the presentation. Now he just makes everybody look bad.

I could understand when the guys who work at software and OS development not being the best communicators, they get too nervous or still unfamiliar with the 'stage', but for a chief of marketing to be so unexciting to see it is unforgivable. It is his job to get the developers and consumers excited and to tell them why they need it, he failed so miserably. He is repetitive in the most boring way. For Chris sake, he just reveal the ipad in the most unthought out way, the biggest change of the new ipad is the new thin body (don't even talk about the unnecessary name cluster 'ipad air'), and he just showed the ipad air appearance immediately without any preamps and just showed in a video where it look just like the previous ipad mini. I know in fact the design is very similar but that's why the marketing guy should first show us how impossible it is to shave off anymore from the previous version. He did it totally the other way around talk about the design detail after people already are underwhelmed...

All I can say is that in Apple's standard, he is just not good enough. And without Steve now, if they don't quickly find someone brilliant to add to the marketing team, Apple will very much be like their keynote today, repetitive and predictable.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
They should make an education only model then with no cameras and price it for less and not even have it available to buy on the Apple online store.
That's really a pretty good idea. Not sure if Apple wants to manage another SKU though.

----------

Thanks for letting us know. We didn't know if you watched it live or not.
I watched it live. Wasn't wearing any pants. They were in the dryer. (Dryer set to permanent press).

Oh. I Emptied lint trap first.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
Great event today. It's like Apple's woken up and remembered that it's a software company that makes its own hardware and not the other way around. I doubt many people will agree but I thought the most interesting parts of the talk were real-time iWork collaboration and Craig saying that they've improved their software development processes.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Annoying that Apple won't let me see these keynotes in full screen... what's up with that?

Edited to add: can't skip around either. I had to do something else 20 minutes in, now I have to run through those 20 minutes AGAIN.

Idiots.

Last edited:

niic

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
I have grown quite fond of Craig Federighi's style of presentation over the past years. Eddy Cue's was nice as well. It's been pointed out already, but I also thought Phil Schiller was just not that interesting. And after the 'can't innovate anymore, my ass' line he dropped at the WWDC I've been fed up with him honestly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.