Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added a new iMovie Theater channel to the Apple TV, designed to work in conjunction with the iMovie Theater feature that was added to both the iOS and Mac versions of iMovie in today's update.

iMovie Theater is a cross device feature designed to allow users to watch shared clips, movies, and trailers on all Apple devices, including the Apple TV. Projects that are created within iMovie for iOS or Mac and shared using iTunes Theater within those apps will automatically show up within the Apple TV channel.

imovietheater.jpg
The channel is activated by signing into an iCloud account that is connected to an iOS or Mac version of iMovie. It is available through an over-the-air update and should be available for users running the most recent Apple TV software. Apple also bundled a number of other new features into its iMovie update, which is available for download today.
iMovie for Mac and iOS have been redesigned to make it easier than ever to browse your video library and instantly share your favorite moments. iMovie for Mac includes simplified editing tools that let you quickly improve the look of your movie, add fun effects, and speed up or slow down your video.

iMovie for iOS brings desktop-class moviemaking to your iPhone® and iPad, so you can create split screen and picture-in-picture effects or advanced audio edits in just a few taps. And with iMovie Theater, you can watch your shared clips, movies, and trailers on all your Apple devices, even your Apple TV®.
iMovie is available for both iOS and Mac, priced at $4.99/$14.99. [Direct Links: iOS/Mac]

Article Link: Apple Adds iMovie Theater Channel to Apple TV

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I'd love it, too, but I'd be willing to bet that Amazon is the hold-up there, not Apple. I mean, plenty of the existing apps compete with Apple's movie and TV apps, right?

Well it is available for iPhones and iPad isn't that competing? They can do it the same format like on the iPhone or iPad.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
So, this is ONLY for videos created with iMovie, right?

This is more like a cage within the walled garden....

macdagni

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Is there a file size/movie length limit with iMovie theater? My shorter videos are working but I have one that is 45 minutes long and the iCloud upload button is grayed out.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Is there a file size/movie length limit with iMovie theater? My shorter videos are working but I have one that is 45 minutes long and the iCloud upload button is grayed out.

If there is a size limit, it will be the icing on the cake for this rather useless ATV tile, which basically does little but make sure that we don't stray from the Apple-provided apps, no matter how limited.

I have long ago dumped iMovie, which is incredibly limited and overall lame, for Power Director (one of the few reasons I still keep a Windows installation around), but I suppose I am out of luck if I chose not to use iMovie for my home videos.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Are these sharing on a wireless network like home share or being stored in the 5gb icloud. (I know I could buy more but not interested.)

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Doubt that will happen. Competing ecosystems....would be like getting a Big Mac at Burger King.

True they are competing but you can watch prime on the iPad and iPhone. I think I remember reading that they are supposed to make it airplay capable soon - so at that point, the horse is out of the barn. They may as well have an Apple TV app.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Doubt that will happen. Competing ecosystems....would be like getting a Big Mac at Burger King.

Like I said how is it possible to have it on the iPhone or iPads Amazon Prime app? Isn't that the same thing when it comes to Apple TV?

I just can not differentiate the difference.

----------

True they are competing but you can watch prime on the iPad and iPhone. I think I remember reading that they are supposed to make it airplay capable soon - so at that point, the horse is out of the barn. They may as well have an Apple TV app.

It is already Airplay capable but I hate Airplay I always have connection issues never seems to work for me.

I rather have the App on Apple TV.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

thats already happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.