Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I know how you feel. I'd be embarrassed if I had to use one of these in public as well.

clearly the deliberate display of "non" on the back of this ugly thing is an inside joke right? no way apple just let this one slip by because they usually consider everything down to the tiniest of details. therefore this nonsense must be intentional, right?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Note 2 to Note 3:

Increased screen size

Increased pixel density

Increased ram

Increased storage

Increased battery

Decreased the size

Decreased the weight

And still have the option for expandable storage via microsd and replaceable battery.

Yeah, exactly the same thing as the iPhone.

Increased the screen resolution too.

Improvements to multi tasking

S-pen upgrade

4K video recording.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
You kidding right? those upgrades were far more than just an upgraded processor and better camera. They actually added very good features and a full HD screen display and made the screen bigger.

The note 2 to the note 3 has been a clear improvement in all areas. The iphone has looked the same for the past 3 years.

How does the 4s look like the 5s? Its not even the same size lol. Full HD displays on a display that small is completely pointless, like megapixel counts on phone cameras with tiny image sensors. Love how spec chasers keep falling for these marketing gimmicks though :)

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
How does the 4s look like the 5s? Its not even the same size lol. Full HD displays on a display that small is completely pointless, like megapixel counts on phone cameras with tiny image sensors. Love how spec chasers keep falling for these marketing gimmicks though :)

yes full HD is completely pointless until apple puts it on the iphone6, then it will unapologetically renovate the whole industry, amirite? lets not forget that anything over 3.5" screen was also pointless as 3.5" was the "perfect size"...then 4" became the new perfect...

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

The upgrade to full HD screen does make a difference on a 6" screen and also high mega pixel count probably does not mean better quality pictures on a phone it does mean a picture can be blown up more without it going pixelated.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
yes full HD is completely pointless until apple puts it on the iphone6, then it will unapologetically renovate the whole industry, amirite? lets not forget that anything over 3.5" screen was also pointless as 3.5" was the "perfect size"...then 4" became the new perfect...

Is that really different than any other company? Look at when Android phones were 4 inch and 4.2 inch and everyone thought they were just perfect! Who would ever want a 4.7 inch or a 5 inch screen?! OMG! That would just be too big! Yet here we are a mere two years later and people swear like anything less than 5 inches is just too small and 5 inches is the new perfect :rolleyes: Same can be said for processors. The Android world was blown away with dual core processors and 1GB of RAM. Like OMG! My desktop computer has a dual core and 1GB of RAM! Why would we never need anything more? This is perfect! Yet here we are two years later with OCTOcore phones and 3GB of RAM. Another useless gimmick by the way since Android apps dont even fully utilize TWO cores much less eight. So Android does the exact same thing you just ripped Apple for.

----------

The upgrade to full HD screen does make a difference on a 6" screen and also high mega pixel count probably does not mean better quality pictures on a phone it does mean a picture can be blown up more without it going pixelated.

The human eye cant even detect the difference between 720p and 1080p on 50 inch HDTVs much less a 5-6 inch phone display...

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I know how you feel. I'd be embarrassed if I had to use one of these in public as well.

Anyone with eyes can see that would be embarrassing to use. I like you tried to imply I am an iPhone user just because I would be embarrassed to use the Note 3 in public

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I was tempted for about 5 seconds. I would rather wait for an iPad mini (retina) and a Wacom Bluetooth pen.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Is that really different than any other company? Look at when Android phones were 4 inch and 4.2 inch and everyone thought they were just perfect! Who would ever want a 4.7 inch or a 5 inch screen?! OMG! That would just be too big!

Actually, some of the top phones 2 years ago were 3.6", 3.7", 4.3" and 4.8". There was no perfect size.

On the other hand, apple only had 3.5" and instead of making a larger screen, sold people on the one handed use and iPhone users ate it all up.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
You all do realize the Note 3 can be a one handed phone right? There is software that makes the screen smaller and one handed operation. I think that's pretty cool.

BTW: I never had a problem shuffling my hand around to use a large galaxy phone.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
They are essentially 2 different phones for different uses..The Phablet (N3) is great if you are into multi-tasking and using your phone as your primary go to device...Iphone 5s gives you a better form factor, one handed usage and touch ID....I used the Note 3 for a few hours (borrowed it to check it out from a freind)..All i did with the larger screen was play games and watch youtube videos..I do all this with my Ipad at home so really do not need to carry a very large phablet on me all the time (as my primary in pocket device)..On the flip side i have co-workers who use the ***** out of their note 3's with multitasking (Watching youtube while working on their email for example) so for them going to a iphone 5s is a non starter..

Its horses for courses...The Iphone5S meets the sweet spot nicely for most smartphone users that are not looking at serious gaming or media on their phones (Most use their tablets or laptops for that)....The Iphone 6 will probably upsize close to 5" than to 4" and apple may perhaps even make a phablet one day but we are really dealing with two very different devices ..

I do not hate samsung, I love all devices from all makers and loved the time i got to play around with the note-3..Its a great device for those that will really use it to the max...I would not be multi-tasking or using the S pen to all the crazy stuff it can do from my device so for me the iphone 5s is perfect for my usage..So if you are un-decided between the 5s and the GN3 you probably should go for the former, for you'd know if you really need a phablet based on your device usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.