Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Neat but we need this in iOS.
As the article mentions in the beginning, they already added something similar for iOS last month where you can get the latest compatible version of an app for the iOS version you are running.

01Rubytone

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
I wanted to get the map app that shipped with IOS5
[/COLOR]How is this related to the Mac App Store that is being discussed? The map app in iOS is part of the OS itself, so you can really only get it if you can find a way to downgrade to iOS 5. Short of that, there's the Google Maps app, among some various other maps apps.[/QUOTE]
The first sentence of the article referred to users running pre IOS7
The new google maps keeps updating but it never gets better on my 4s, maybe it would be better on a large screen
I just think its only fair to be able to return to the software that shipped with the device as you bought it.
Without jail breaking. (Even though I like that term, I'm not doing it)

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
As CDM said as soon as Snow Leopard stops receiving security updates (like Leopard did in May 2012) I'll have to look at an upgrade. But considering a considerable chunk of OS X users a STILL on Snow Leopard Apple just can't afford to drop 100,000's in the deep end at this moment in time.

I think the whole logic behind Mavericks being free is that they're trying to draw people away from Snow Leopard, as it's rapidly becoming the Windows XP of the Mac world.

Some people don't want useless features like 'Launchpad' or 'Game Center'. I like the barebones, straight to the point style of Snow Leopard. Quick, efficient, supported. What more could you want?

----------

Meh, 3D maps & colour-coded tags don't rock my boat :p

You are aware that you don't have to use those "useless features" and that they don't open themselves automatically or force themselves upon you right?

Sometimes it feels like the people who adamantly stick to SL are only doing so because it makes them feel like they're part of some elite Apple purist club.

The performance upgrades and tech in 10.9 are really worth upgrading for.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
You are aware that you don't have to use those "useless features" and that they don't open themselves automatically or force themselves upon you right?

Sometimes it feels like the people who adamantly stick to SL are only doing so because it makes them feel like they're part of some elite Apple purist club.

The performance upgrades and tech in 10.9 are really worth upgrading for.

I've tried Lion, Mountain Lion & now Mavericks. All are considerably slower than Snow Leopard. I like Mavericks - it feels like a really refined version of Lion, which is awesome. I just don't need the features, and so I stick with Snow Leopard. Until a date comes that I am forced to upgrade or Apple introduces a new feature that I actually see myself using I'm fine where I am.

I find it slightly worrying that you're getting aggravated over someone stating they run x on their Mac instead of y. Take it easy.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I've tried Lion, Mountain Lion & now Mavericks. All are considerably slower than Snow Leopard. I like Mavericks - it feels like a really refined version of Lion, which is awesome. I just don't need the features, and so I stick with Snow Leopard. Until a date comes that I am forced to upgrade or Apple introduces a new feature that I actually see myself using I'm fine where I am.

I find it slightly worrying that you're getting aggravated over someone stating they run x on their Mac instead of y. Take it easy.

People can do what they wish. It doesn't bother me but from time to time there is the odd user who you can tell is sticking to SL just to be that person. I wasn't painting you with that brush exactly but to accuse some of the new features/apps as useless is a personal thing and can't be applied to the release in general.

Maps for example is fantastic for me as I'm constantly going to see clients in many different places. I can basically plan a weeks worth of sat nav use in one sitting in combo with Calender.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Can someone with a lower iOS version such as 10.6.8 let me know if they can download something that requires a higher OS X version but once required their OS? I currently require 10.6.8 but I would love to change the requirement to 10.7+, but I don't want to do that if anyone with 10.6.8 can't buy the old version of my app. The way Apple worded "Users who have already purchased" makes me wonder, but I know at least on iOS even users who had never purchased the app could still get older versions.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Does anyone know when this will start working?

My older MacBook Pro only goes up to 10.7, and a bunch of apps (formally available for 10.7) will no longer download since the release of 10.9.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
That is good, but ya, it would be goo for iOS.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 10.49.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 10.49.58 AM.png
    799.2 KB · Views: 153

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
[/COLOR]How is this related to the Mac App Store that is being discussed? The map app in iOS is part of the OS itself, so you can really only get it if you can find a way to downgrade to iOS 5. Short of that, there's the Google Maps app, among some various other maps apps.[/QUOTE

It was Google maps in iOS 5

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[/COLOR]How is this related to the Mac App Store that is being discussed? The map app in iOS is part of the OS itself, so you can really only get it if you can find a way to downgrade to iOS 5. Short of that, there's the Google Maps app, among some various other maps apps.[/QUOTE

It was Google maps in iOS 5
Right, and you can now get a separate (and better) Google Maps app (from Google themselves).

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I like Mavericks - it feels like a really refined version of Lion, which is awesome. I just don't need the features, and so I stick with Snow Leopard. Until a date comes that I am forced to upgrade or Apple introduces a new feature that I actually see myself using I'm fine where I am.

Unless Mavericks breaks something mission-critical for you, or you're like me and want to wait until at least 10.9.1 or so, there isn't much to lose by upgrading since it's a free release.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Im sure someone has already published a way to downgrade iOS somewhere.

Apple will do their hardest to prevent this for very valid security reasons. Let's say your iPhone with confidential data falls into the hands of some hacker, who is stumped by security features in the OS. The obvious thing for the hacker to do would be to install an older iOS version where this security feature isn't present.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Does anyone know when this will start working?

My older MacBook Pro only goes up to 10.7, and a bunch of apps (formally available for 10.7) will no longer download since the release of 10.9.

I tested it with iLife and iWork in 10.8.5 yesterday and it works there. It does not seem to support 10.6.8. If it's not working for you with 3rd party apps, it may be because the developer has not opted to participate in this program.
EDIT: I just tested with 10.7.5 and it does not work with that, so it appears that this only works in 10.8.+

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple will do their hardest to prevent this for very valid security reasons. Let's say your iPhone with confidential data falls into the hands of some hacker, who is stumped by security features in the OS. The obvious thing for the hacker to do would be to install an older iOS version where this security feature isn't present.
Well, if the installation if any new OS (old or new) would require Apple ID information, then it wouldn't really be an issue.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Bout time the App Store had something like this. Glad to see they are finally accepting users of older hardware and software. Good call Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.