Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
image.png

It's not the fact that it's old as hell AND still $399, it's why is it still on the market period?

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007

It's not the fact that it's old as hell AND still $399, it's why is it still on the market period?

I think it helps Apple just capture more of the market. Now they have a fast/retina iPad and a slow/non-retina iPad in each size. You can decide on high-end or low-end and which size and they have all 4 squares filled out.

You know that graph with vertical bars under a sloping curve, that shows how much money can be made with products at various prices? They're just filling up as much of it as they can.

Ideally the iPad 4 would be the $399 one but hey, ideally Apple products would only be marked up 50% rather than 100%. All of us have bought them anyway.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I'm curious about this too. What makes the 2 so cost effective that apple still makes these as their cheaper iPad instead of the 3rd or 4th gen? Isn't that what they do with the phones? Keep the last one for the cheaper phone? Not the iphone 3G!

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Folks, don't forget the components that are in the new iPads and the iPad 3 and 4. All three of those (3, 4, and Air) all use the same screen and RAM modules. If Apple is still producing them, that takes orders from producing the Air. I'm sure this isn't the be-all tell-all on why Apple's done this - as I'm sure their profit margin on the iPad 2 every time they get a sucker to get one in the stores is crazy high and they're loving it - I'm willing to believe that has a small part to do with it.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Or you can get the iPad 4 for $379 as a refurb which we all know is pretty much like brand new... There should be no choice here for $20 LESS. :D

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
At $399 they make a killing on the iPad 2. Who will buy it when for the same money you can get the Mini retina with A7 etc.? It makes no sense...
The argument that Apple has a retina and non-retina iPad in each size may have a nice symmetry to it, but is a fabricated excuse for Apple to make HUGE margins on the 2.

----------

Or you can get the iPad 4 for $379 as a refurb which we all know is pretty much like brand new... There should be no choice here for $20 LESS. :D

Exactly - no-brainer.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
100% agree. It should have died, and the iPad 4 been knocked down to the $399 price point.
Exactly! ...This would make sense. Why offer a non-retina iPad 2 at the same price as the retina iPad mini??:confused:? ...maybe Apple has some commercial demand for a 30-pin connector iPad??

But, the real question is, how well does the iPad 2 run iOS 7? At 3 generations old, it has to be a total laggard. (I'm actually asking the question, wondering if a friend should leave iOS 6 on theirs or update to iOS 7, it sucks you can't try it and go back if it's too slow.)

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Exactly! ...This would make sense. Why offer a non-retina iPad 2 at the same price as the retina iPad mini??:confused:? ...maybe Apple has some commercial demand for a 30-pin connector iPad??

But, the real question is, how well does the iPad 2 run iOS 7? At 3 generations old, it has to be a total laggard. (I'm actually asking the question, wondering if a friend should leave iOS 6 on theirs or update to iOS 7, it sucks you can't try it and go back if it's too slow.)

It's noticeably slower but not so much so that I hate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.