Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broric

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
I currently have an old iMac which I do the majority of the my photography work on but I've just purchased a new rMBP. As the rMBP will be much more powerful than my iMac it makes sense to do the majority of work on it (even if it's connected to the iMac display) but I'm trying to figure out the best way to share my catalog/images.

I've read about using the dropbox folder to share my catalog between the two machines and that seems like it should work fine but what do I do about the actual image files themselves?

Currently all the files are on my iMac and I don't particularly think it's a good idea to just duplicate them onto my rMBP due to the more limited hard drive size.

I have a PC set up as a fileserver, if I stored my images on there instead of on my iMac could both macs point to the files there instead? Will that slow things down doing it over the network? Any suggestions appreciated :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.