Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
I don't know if was never there or it is missing in action...but I don't have a "display" icon in my 'System Preferences' under 'Hardware' on my MPB, like I do on my iMac 24.

I wanted to check/change my color profile to see if I could get it to match or at least come close to my iMac but I can't find the same functions on the MPB as the iMac.

On the iMac in System Preferences>Hardware, between 'CD's & DVD's'...and...'Energy Saver' icon's there is an icon that says 'Display' which opens a box which gives me some selections for 'Screen' and 'Color'...

No such icon on the MPB ???? Anyone know where I can find this function on the MPB?

Jim W.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
It should be there, it is on all the MBPs in my house. Not sure what to suggest on why it's not showing. I assume you didn't delete any of the system preference panes /System/Library/PreferencePanes?

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
You can go to /System/Library/PreferencePanes on you iMac and find the display one, then copy it to the equivalent folder on your MBP and the settings will be restored.

Happened to my parents' iMac once and I just mailed them the missing preferencepane and told them to restore and voila (it was the Accounts prefpane btw).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Do you have that check box?

ea821148.png

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
No I don't have that box, thats the one that is missing...I can see a 'display.prefPane' icon, under PLACES>jkwinchester>Library>PreferencePanes>display.prefPane.
But I can't drag it into the System Preferences>Hardware location where it should be.
I can't even double click it open, when I try it looks like it is trying to open, ie, the screen has that little shimmy but nothing opens ??

Can I email the one from my 24" to the MBP?

Jim

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
No I don't have that box, thats the one that is missing...I can see a 'display.prefPane' icon, under PLACES>jkwinchester>Library>PreferencePanes>display.prefPane.
But I can't drag it into the System Preferences>Hardware location where it should be.
I can't even double click it open, when I try it looks like it is trying to open, ie, the screen has that little shimmy but nothing opens ??

Can I email the one from my 24" to the MBP?

Jim

I will try once again:

You need to go to /System/Library/PreferencePanes, not the /Library folder on your user. If you have the display.prefPane on your iMac under /System etc. mail it to your self and copy/paste it into the /System/... etc folder on your MBP as I told you in my previous post.

You need administrator rights to do this.

You should not have a display.prefPane in your own user/Library folder.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
It isn't for a lack of trying...I have tried everything I know, which is I admit limited...hence my query to the board.
And I thank you for your time to try and assist.
However I did 'try once again' to do as you suggested and this is the result, again:

/Users/jkwinchester1/Desktop/Picture 1.png

OK that didn't work either, its supposed to be a 'screen shot' showing the dialog box indicating that

'The item " Displays.prefPane" could not be moved because "PreferencesPanes" cannot be modified'.

It then gives me the choice to " Authenticate" or " Cancel" . I tried both and both do the same thing. Cancel. I have administrator rights as I am the only one who ever uses this MPB, it is after all mine. For now anyway :D

Short of using actual glue...I'm thinking 'glue gun' with the emphasis on 'gun' at this point as the only way to 'cut and paste' the display.pane into the proper location :mad:

I should add: I tried to do a 'color calibration' a few weeks ago and didn't like the result so went back to the default setting, 'Color LCD' and now have an icon on the bottom line of 'System Preferences'>'Other', called 'Version Cue CS3' which seems to be some kind of Adobe app. I didn't ask for it, it just appeared on its own...maybe it booted my 'Display Preferences' out the door?

Jim

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Version Cue CS3 is part of Photoshop CS3. I assume you must have installed that, although I have that and don't have a preference panel for it.

Well you need to get the preference pane back into /Library/PreferencePanes. Authenticating should do that. If you are the administrator, this should work I don't know why it wouldn't.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Well praise the lord and pass the pixels...guess what, must be something in the air here in Boston, actually mostly rain today...but while sitting here at Signature Aviation FBO in Bedford I thought I'll give it one more try, as you said, it SHOULD work.

And it did. I first moved the Adobe thing to the desktop and then dragged the preferences icon from the desktop into the System>Library>Preferences group. The Authenticate box came up and after entering my password...zing...in it went. Then dragged the Adobe icon back in and that worked too...Yahoo!! Go figure, complete failure last nite and works today.

Another question probably for a software forum but I have a color profile in my 24" that isn't available in the MBP. The only profile in fact in the MBP is the 'color lcd' profile.

Can I use other profiles in the MBP? I can't remember the profile off the top of my head, but it's has a date at the end like 1998 or something...

Jim.

PS Thanks for all the help...the learning curve climbs every day :).

patriotsnec

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
"Display" icon MIA

HELLO ONE AND ALL, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH NOT SHOWING THE DISPLAY ICON IN SYSTEM PREFERENCES. I 'VE LOOKED IN MY PREFERENCEPANES IN MY SYSTEM BUT CANT FIND IT. UNFORTUNATELY I DONT HAVE ANOTHER MAC. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANOTHER WAY OR WANNA SEND ME A COPY OF THERE DISPLAY PREFERENCE PANE?

MY EMAIL IS PATRIOTSNEC@VERIZON.NET

DKEdge

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2010
Quick Question

Just quickly i have the EXACT same problem as the first guy and when i replace the pref.pane it does appear in the prefrences which is a improvement but when i click on the Display pane it comes up with the message "Could not load Display preference pane".
Any one know why?

not sure if this is right if someone could check theres it would be helpful it says the pane is only 676KB is that right. sounds a bit small compared to others.

flipside222

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Plymouth, MI
I was able to resolve the issue on mine by going to system preferences and clicking on view in the toolbar at the top of the screen and clicking on Customize. That showed all of the system preference panes available and they show a check mark next to the ones that are being shown. Displays was UNchecked. I checked it and everything is fine. Hope this helps anyone in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.