Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
OK, my headline is an exaggeration. I really like MR's Buyer's Guide. Useful, clear, with a good information design (stop light colors).

However, I was more than taken aback (if that's possible!), when I saw that it is says it's Green Light time to buy the iPod Touch. That's because of the ridiculous IPT that was intro'd a couple of months back. Clearly, the web page is generated by algorithm (at least I hope so!) or someone should have caught that!

Obviously that silly little thing was NOT the next incarnation or a refresh of the IPT line. That happened last October and so we are, indeed, due for a new one-- and it's definitely the red light time for the IPT!

I'd hate to think of some buyer actually depending upon MR and buying a new IPT in the next couple of weeks.

Intriguingly, the only item on the web page besides the IPT that is green light to buy is the MacBook Air!

A reminder to all-- you can save $$ on Apple's site buying refurbished Mac and i-devices-- and they come with a full one year warranty.

macirate

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
I bought an iPod Touch 5G on that recommendation.

I've used Macs for years, and used this guide for years. Recently, I haven't been keeping up with releases, and I went out an bought an iPod Touch after seeing that green light, knowing an iPhone is likely to come out soon but thinking the iPod 5Gs were upgraded or the prices lowered recently.

Now I have to jump through hoops to return the thing. I'm lucky I didn't open it before looking at the back and seeing the "copyright 2012" fine print.

It's ridiculous there's a green light WITH NO EXPLANATION.

BALL. DROPPED. NOT HAPPY.

macirate

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
Yes, well, if you read one of the other threads here, there's generally a refresh every year, but a new generation every two years.

The 5G was released in October 2012. There's been 233+99 days since that release, ie. 332 days. Barring any atypical delays, it's due for a refresh. An upgraded processor, memory, storage or something.

Look at the timing of the releases (from Mac Buyer's Guide) and tell me it isn't.
Recent Releases
??? 99 days
May 2013 233 days
Oct 2012 371 days
Oct 2011 398 days
Sep 2010 357 days

The light should be RED on the 5G. There should have been a note or the iPod Touch should have been split into sub-groups.

So saying you highly doubt a new generation of iPod Touch is rather beside the point. The buyer's guide is misleading.

Kudos to the big store I bought it from that refunded me quickly.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Yes, well, if you read one of the other threads here, there's generally a refresh every year, but a new generation every two years.

The 5G was released in October 2012. There's been 233+99 days since that release, ie. 332 days. Barring any atypical delays, it's due for a refresh. An upgraded processor, memory, storage or something.

Look at the timing of the releases (from Mac Buyer's Guide) and tell me it isn't.
Recent Releases
??? 99 days
May 2013 233 days
Oct 2012 371 days
Oct 2011 398 days
Sep 2010 357 days

The light should be RED on the 5G. There should have been a note or the iPod Touch should have been split into sub-groups.

So saying you highly doubt a new generation of iPod Touch is rather beside the point. The buyer's guide is misleading.

Kudos to the big store I bought it from that refunded me quickly.

The October 2011 update added no new internals. They only made a white model availble. It was still the fourth gen touch.

The may 2013 update added no new internals. In fact, it removed some.

Based off recent history there will be no major hardware upgrades to the touch this year.

macirate

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
Notice I said "generally".

October 2011 lack of upgrade was discussed in other thread. Even if there was no hardware upgrade, software was upgraded to iOS 5. 8G price, as far as I can tell from reading some reviews, was dropped from $229 to $199.

May 2013 downgraded cheaper entry-level 16G version IS the point of this thread as detailed in the first post.

Given I could only find blue iPod Touches in the three stores I looked, and one silver (that I bought) in the last, it seems to me like they're not getting new stock, so I'm betting on a refresh (either hardware upgrade - not new generation - or price drop but upgrade more likely). Blue iPods everywhere! I should have taken the hint. Instead, I sleep walked to buying my iPod Touch anyway.

There's no way I would have bought a new iPod Touch THIS CLOSE to a possible announcement. Keynote is on September 10. Since 5G (32, 64GB) was not refreshed in May, it is HIGHLY possible something will be announced in Sept/Oct, or as soon as in 4 days.

Last edited:

macirate

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
A bare statement without supporting reasons is not a contribution to the discussion.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
OK, my headline is an exaggeration. I really like MR's Buyer's Guide. Useful, clear, with a good information design (stop light colors).

However, I was more than taken aback (if that's possible!), when I saw that it is says it's Green Light time to buy the iPod Touch. That's because of the ridiculous IPT that was intro'd a couple of months back. Clearly, the web page is generated by algorithm (at least I hope so!) or someone should have caught that!

Obviously that silly little thing was NOT the next incarnation or a refresh of the IPT line. That happened last October and so we are, indeed, due for a new one-- and it's definitely the red light time for the IPT!

I'd hate to think of some buyer actually depending upon MR and buying a new IPT in the next couple of weeks.

Intriguingly, the only item on the web page besides the IPT that is green light to buy is the MacBook Air!

A reminder to all-- you can save $$ on Apple's site buying refurbished Mac and i-devices-- and they come with a full one year warranty.

MacRumors had it correct in giving the Touch a green light. You will not see a new Touch this year other than possibly some additional colors. With all the leaks going on, we have not had a single rumor of a new Touch.

macirate

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
If the usefulness and accuracy of Mac Buyer's Guide is a reflection of the intelligence and thought capacity of its forum members of which a representative sample is what I have thus far encountered then it should very well be a green light.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I can't see them releasing a new iPod touch this year. What is the current latest gen Touch lacking? It's more than fast enough for pretty much everything, has a good camera, the same screen as the iPhone 5, etc...

An upgrade right now doesn't make any sense. They could make it a bit faster, sure, but at the expense of battery life or size.

It really is a fairly perfect product right now. Probably by late next year it will be due for an upgrade, but not just yet.

Andy-UK

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2013
With all the leaks going on, we have not had a single rumor of a new Touch.

Well, that's not strictly true, there was a rumour at the start of August about a new flex cable which might be for a 6th generation iPod Touch: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/01/flex-cable-claimed-to-be-from-apples-6th-gen-ipod-touch-hints-at-2013-update

A spec bump would be good - Apple has had a quiet year and they're losing market share everywhere outside North America so a big splash announcement that every single line has had some kind of upgrade would give them a strong Q4 and help make up for lost ground but I agree it's nowhere near as certain as the new iPhones and iPads.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Buyer's Guide
This page provides a product summary for each Apple model. The intent is to provide our best recommendations regarding current product cycles, and to provide a summary of currently available rumors for each model.

This page is based on rumors and speculation and we provide no guarantee to its accuracy.

I always take what it's written on the guide w/ a grain of salt. There are times where things in it are not right, but like always you can click on the links it has to show what was updated to see if it is worth it for you.
The guide is not gonna tell you how long a green light/just updated item is going to last. Take the buy it now as a reference that the item was recently updated. If :apple: wants to do another update sooner than later then that's :apple: but the guide can't tell you it's just released, but maybe wait unless they have new proof. No new things for the touch have been leaked so far and I think nothing new will come sept 10 for it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Well, that's not strictly true, there was a rumour at the start of August about a new flex cable which might be for a 6th generation iPod Touch: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/01/flex-cable-claimed-to-be-from-apples-6th-gen-ipod-touch-hints-at-2013-update

There's a reason we didn't cover that story...that part is from the new 16 GB iPod touch, not an upcoming model. :)

Yes, the Buyer's Guide is based on an algorithm, although we choose which data points are counted as updates. It's always tricky when Apple adds something new to a product family mid-cycle as they did with the new low-end iPod touch. We've chosen to count this one as an update because we believe it is substantial enough to count as one.

We've heard nothing about iPod touch (or any iPod) updates for this fall, so it would not be at all surprising if they go basically untouched. Maybe some price drops, maybe a new 128 GB touch if the iPhone also goes 128 GB.

Really hard to say, but my guess is no real update to the iPod touch this fall. Hope I'm wrong.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
"We've chosen to count this one as an update because we believe it is substantial enough to count as one"

I thought it was roundly panned as even being a step backwards! Lower capacity, and stripped of certain features.

This is a case where the algorithm, without divine/human intervention, is a colossal FAIL. While many of the rationales in this thread are good ones--both pro and con buying--the basic problem is showing that the line was upgraded just a few months ago, when it really happened last year.

No one in their right mind, or even reasonably well informed, should buy the iPod Touch 16gb oddball right now--or the iPod Touch 5G. No matter what the speculation and arguments-counter-arguments are as to whether there will be an improvement or not, waiting just one month to see what happens is truly a no-brainer!

The GREEN LIGHT should be turned off. At least, put a yellow light on it, with an asterisk indicating the next big Apple even is anticipated next month.

Also, if you look back, the IPT has not been on the same two-year cycle as the iPhone at all. I know because I waited through two years for a decent camera to be put on it-- it took 3 years, 3 models, and the *revolutionary* advance of the 5G.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
So now it boils down to you don't agree so it ought to be changed even after the folks who set it up told why and how the green light is there.

Got it.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Wow, such harshness! If yours were the standard for discussions, there'd never be any! "Gosh, they've given an explanation, so they must be right!" As Spock used to say, "Highly illogical!".

Just because a rationale is given for something, that doesn't mean it is correct and shouldn't be commented on. Or, that we shouldn't try to persuade a journal to change its stance by pointing out the weaknesses in its rationale.

You also missed the key point of my follow-up. With an Apple event likely next month, no matter what one thinks about this issue (or whether they work for--or shill for-- MacRumors or not :) ), one would be just plain stupid to buy an IPT now--and such a reputable site as MR should not be encouraging it!

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
Wow, such harshness! If yours were the standard for discussions, there'd never be any! "Gosh, they've given an explanation, so they must be right!" As Spock used to say, "Highly illogical!".

Just because a rationale is given for something, that doesn't mean it is correct and shouldn't be commented on. Or, that we shouldn't try to persuade a journal to change its stance by pointing out the weaknesses in its rationale.

You also missed the key point of my follow-up. With an Apple event likely next month, no matter what one thinks about this issue (or whether they work for--or shill for-- MacRumors or not :) ), one would be just plain stupid to buy an IPT now--and such a reputable site as MR should not be encouraging it!

He is the aggregator of the buyers guide he explained why he did it. Further arguing against his decision because you don't feel it was enough of an update is truly just masturbation. You argument is opinion.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
With an Apple event likely next month, no matter what one thinks about this issue (or whether they work for--or shill for-- MacRumors or not :) ), one would be just plain stupid to buy an IPT now--and such a reputable site as MR should not be encouraging it!

Are you saying that every time there is an Apple event, Mac Rumors should have every Apple item show up as red (don't buy) ? There are absolutely no rumors at all on an updated Touch so what makes you think there will be an update next month ? Especially, since there are no Apple secrets anymore. MacRumors made the correct recommendation.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
With an Apple event likely next month, no matter what one thinks about this issue (or whether they work for--or shill for-- MacRumors or not :) ), one would be just plain stupid to buy an IPT now--and such a reputable site as MR should not be encouraging it!

If you want an iPod touch, now is indeed a good time. I'd bet good money there won't be any updates at the iPad/Mac event...we've already seen our iPod updates for late 2013, and they consist of a new space gray color.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009

Guy's they are changing to a 2 year iPod touch update system... If they weren't doing that why would there be zero rumors of the 6th gen and why did Apple just update the color on the 5th generation black one to match space gray? Not happening this year. Do research before buying and definitely don't return your iPod touch.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

So MacRumors was correct to green light the Touch in the buyers guide :D. I feel sorry for all the people who wanted one and didn't get a Touch 5 after they were told by other people that the Touch 6 would come out in the Fall 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.