Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1990eam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hello there. I'll make a trip to the US this December and spend my time traveling until the end of March and I need something to keep in touch with my family through Skype and to do minor photo/video editing.

I was thinking about buying a MBA (i7, 8gb, 256gb) when I get there since it's also so easy to carry around. But since I'm new to Mac's, I don't know about update schedules, etc. and the buyer's guide says I should buy "only if I need to".

Does this mean an update to the MBA line is going to happen any time soon (January at most) or is the next update in June 2014?

Thanks for the help :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't think anybody knows for certain at this point, but I really doubt there will be another Air update until the next generation of Intel chipsets comes out in mid-2014. I would say you are safe to buy now.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I don't think anybody knows for certain at this point, but I really doubt there will be another Air update until the next generation of Intel chipsets comes out in mid-2014. I would say you are safe to buy now.

I'll go further and say there is simply no chance of an update between December and March. And even if there was one in January or February, the OP would be without a computer for half his time in the US

1990eam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Very well then.. I'll have to buy it as soon as I get there then :p :apple:

Thanks for the input guys :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.