Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cohen777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I like the new Mac. It is going be very fast with the updated cpu, dual gpu, and pci-e flash storage.

The pricing for the new mac pro is in line with what I spent for a dual quad 2.4 Gz xeon tower three years ago.

What is missing, with the new design however, is built in, expandability of storage.

Even if you max out the pci-e flash storage at 1 Tb, that is not enough for the video, music, and other files I (maybe you) keep on your computer. The "old" tower allowed for built in expansion with extra drives.

Now if you want to have more drives you need to get a JBOD box. The JBOD boxes aren't easy to find, and are expensive. I don't need nor want a raid box.

Anyway, that is my only complaint about the new mac pro. It appears that it is going to scream speed.

Graemezee

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2009
I have noticed all the arguments about the Mac Pro features or lack of in other threads But i think there is a big issue here.

I have 2008 Mac Pro which is in need of upgrading. It is the main hub of my business The 4 Bays are maxed out and i have a NAS as a time machine back up.

Upgrading the MacPro will be much more expensive than than it's base price

I will have to buy a Thunderbolt raid to give me the equivalent storage or my current MacPro

Assume there are likely to be issues around connecting to my the 30" ACS Display

Will need other peripherals like Blu ray external drive

I have tried to run a lean Mac book Pro on a 250gig SSD and found it possible but pointless Had to upgrade to a 460 gig SSD so i know from first hand experience that 250gig memory will be totally unworkable on my main system.

I think there will be many smaller user that will have the same issues and will end up with quite a large financial outlay over and above the cost of a new Mac Pro

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think Apple could have added expansion slots of for blade PCIe SSDs to one section of the Mac Pro so users could upgrade based on their needs.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
The main assumption that many of us will need to adjust to is that the new MP will find most of its bulk storage on the network (whether LAN, TB or wifi). The intended use for the internal SSDs is boot, application and scratch space.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I have noticed all the arguments about the Mac Pro features or lack of in other threads But i think there is a big issue here.

I have 2008 Mac Pro which is in need of upgrading. It is the main hub of my business The 4 Bays are maxed out and i have a NAS as a time machine back up.

Upgrading the MacPro will be much more expensive than than it's base price

I will have to buy a Thunderbolt raid to give me the equivalent storage or my current MacPro

Assume there are likely to be issues around connecting to my the 30" ACS Display

Will need other peripherals like Blu ray external drive

I have tried to run a lean Mac book Pro on a 250gig SSD and found it possible but pointless Had to upgrade to a 460 gig SSD so i know from first hand experience that 250gig memory will be totally unworkable on my main system.

I think there will be many smaller user that will have the same issues and will end up with quite a large financial outlay over and above the cost of a new Mac Pro

Exactly. Everything about this new machine is a massive money grab. I say if you get chance, see if you can buy a top end 2010 5,1 model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.