Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
My only knock on Android is the lack of apps in the photo department, as that is my hobby as a semi-pro.

My main knock on iOS when it comes to photos is its horrible photo albums. When I create an album and put photos in it, why do they have to stay on my camera roll? If I try and delete it, it deletes it from that album too. Very poor design IMO.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
My main knock on iOS when it comes to photos is its horrible photo albums. When I create an album and put photos in it, why do they have to stay on my camera roll? If I try and delete it, it deletes it from that album too. Very poor design IMO.

What's worse is that those albums STILL don't sync back to your Mac's iPhoto.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
My only knock on Android is the lack of apps in the photo department, as that is my hobby as a semi-pro.

Of course I research a bunch of apps, and they all said the Android versions are coming soon. This was back in late May when I bought my S4 to switch to Android. So here I am, almost 6 months later, still waiting.

I'm waiting on:

1) VSCO Cam (photoapp, currently still in Beta)
2) Day One (journaling)
3) 1Pasword (password management - using LastPass in the meantime which needs better UI).
4) Everpix (uploader available, full-fledged app in the works).

I do miss Hipstamatic though, but that's not coming to Android anytime soon. Like I said it's been 6 months, and I look forward to these apps hitting Android. I guess making an app for Android is hard to do. :eek:

I'm not big into photography, but what is wrong with using G+ Photo's, which auto syncs with your Google account via Picasa? All photo's can be geo and date time stamped, kept in albums of your choosing (album creation on the fly is a great feature), individual photo's and albums can be shared with anyone you choose (not just Google users) and the 'auto-awesome' feature is pretty killer. (If you aren't familiar with it, check it out. Simple things like if one person in a photo closes his eyes, Google can auto-correct it based on other photo's of this person with their eyes open. The feature can be turned off, but it is pretty amazing how it does things.)

Just curious if this is something you looked into before, but simply doesn't work for the pro or semi-pro photographer that needs certain features?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'm not big into photography, but what is wrong with using G+ Photo's, which auto syncs with your Google account via Picasa? All photo's can be geo and date time stamped, kept in albums of your choosing (album creation on the fly is a great feature), individual photo's and albums can be shared with anyone you choose (not just Google users) and the 'auto-awesome' feature is pretty killer. (If you aren't familiar with it, check it out. Simple things like if one person in a photo closes his eyes, Google can auto-correct it based on other photo's of this person with their eyes open. The feature can be turned off, but it is pretty amazing how it does things.)

Just curious if this is something you looked into before, but simply doesn't work for the pro or semi-pro photographer that needs certain features?

I've looked into G+ and use it on occasion. Putting all my family photos and more professional photos on a social network is not optimal. G+ uses cloud space that's simply not enough (15GB) to store all my photos at full resolution. They have the resize to 2048px option, but that's not a good option for me by itself. But of course, I can always pay for more space.

Everpix (family & friends) and Flickr (serious photography) are very useful for the 2 types of photos I keep, and both offer unlimited space at full resolution (Flickr is 1TB, which is virtually unlimited in my book.) So paying Google for space seems sub-optimal. I do like Everpix's "flashback" feature which shows me photos from years ago (with around 8,000 photos, is it feasible to go and look back at them? Not really.)

Yes G+ auto awesome is great, but I process all my photos before hand (LR/PS) and then export the final full resolution JPEG, then I upload to the cloud. I have no need for G+ to mess with my photo processing.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Chrome zooming works like Google maps too. You can double tab and drag up or down. I love that feature.

Here's the problem with this...

It's reversed! Another example of Google features being inconsistent. This one annoys me in particular. In maps it's double tap and hold then sliding down to zoom out and sliding up to zoom in. In chrome its the opposite. Double tap and hold then slide down to zoom in and slide up to zoom out.

What the hell happened there Google? I can't imagine it was accidental. Did they really decide that it makes more sense for one app to go one way but more sense for the other app to go another way? The hell.

To me the way maps does it makes the most sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.