Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itspaul

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
As the OP, my mac takes 20-25 seconds to go to sleep. I ran the command in terminal,

applicationresponse.slowresponse
- Message: PMConnection AirPort configd plug-in com.apple.powermanagement.applicationresponse.slowresponse 2380 ms

* Domain: applicationresponse.slowresponse
- Message: PMConnection IPConfiguration com.apple.powermanagement.applicationresponse.slowresponse 2383 ms

I have an early model MBP 2011 10.6.7. I dont have any print jobs and my MBP does not have trouble staying asleep. This problem is rather annoying as I have to close my laptop and move in a hurry but still can hear my drive spinning. It takes this long to sleep even when I'm running no additional programs.

camogirl911

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
THIS worked GREAT!.. however...

hey guys,

I Just signed up to post the reply.
I found the solution for this, you have to search for the logs and see what is taking too much time. Use the following command :
Code:
pmset -g log

In my case it was an old print job which I had sent my mistake to an offline printer and forgot to delete it from the queue.
I went to "print and fax" in system preferences and found the printer, checked the queue and deleted the job.
Now my lovey MBP sleeps in 2 seconds like an infant.

I happened to find the old print job I had not deleted and it fixed my problem!

Call me dumb however, I am new to MAC.. where do I type in the code to search for the logs? Thanks for any help!

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
where do I type in the code to search for the logs? Thanks for any help!
You can search through all system logs by opening Console.app in your Utilities folder; the list of available logs is down the left side of the window, and the search box is at upper right, OS standard. The box only searches the log you have selected at left.

Also, somebody will eventually point this out, so I'll take the initiative and note that it's "Mac" not "MAC". Aside from simple capitalization, "MAC" is technically something completely different--a networking property called Media Access Control (which can occasionally get a tad confusing, since each Mac has a MAC address).

AlongTheBoat

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
ALOHA ALL!!! I have been trying to find out and cure what's wrong with my MacBook's sleepless problem as well!! I tried to follow the direction by inserting the code to the Terminal provided in the previous post, but I CANNOT find anything that says, "Look for "applicationresponse.slowresponse" and look for the "Signature" with the longest time."

Instead, I got this
"Usage: pmset [-b | -c | -u | -a] <action> <minutes> [<action> <minutes>...]
pmset -g [disk | cap | live | sched | ups | batt]
-c adjust settings used while connected to a charger
-b adjust settings used when running off a battery
-u adjust settings used while running off a UPS
-a (default) adjust settings for both
<action> is one of: displaysleep, sleep, disksleep (minutes argument)
or: reduce, dps, womp, ring, autorestart, powerbutton, halfdim,
lidwake, acwake, lessbright (with a 1 or 0 argument)
or for UPS only: haltlevel (with a percentage argument)
haltafter, haltremain (with a minutes argument)
or: hibernatefile <path> hibernatemode <integer>
hibernatefreeratio <integer percent>
hibernatefreetime <integer ms>
eg. pmset -c dim 5 sleep 15 spindown 10 autorestart 1 womp 1
pmset schedule [cancel] <type> <date/time> [owner]
pmset repeat cancel
pmset repeat <type> <days of week> <time>
<type> is one of: sleep, wake, poweron, shutdown, wakeorpoweron
<date/time> is in "MM/dd/yy HH:mm:ss" format
<time> is in "HH:mm:ss" format
<days of week> is a subset of MTWRFSU
[owner] optionally describes the event creator"

I am very desperate to get this figure out since I really hate the fact that I have to close the lid with the light on!!! This MacBook is the only computer- access I have and I mean, IT'S PART OF MY LIFE!!! Please help!!! Mahalo! :p

You can search through all system logs by opening Console.app in your Utilities folder; the list of available logs is down the left side of the window, and the search box is at upper right, OS standard. The box only searches the log you have selected at left.

Also, somebody will eventually point this out, so I'll take the initiative and note that it's "Mac" not "MAC". Aside from simple capitalization, "MAC" is technically something completely different--a networking property called Media Access Control (which can occasionally get a tad confusing, since each Mac has a MAC address).

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
ALOHA ALL!!! I have been trying to find out and cure what's wrong with my MacBook's sleepless problem as well!! I tried to follow the direction by inserting the code to the Terminal provided in the previous post, but I CANNOT find anything that says, "Look for "applicationresponse.slowresponse" and look for the "Signature" with the longest time."

Instead, I got this
"Usage: pmset [-b | -c | -u | -a] <action> <minutes> [<action>
I am very desperate to get this figure out since I really hate the fact that I have to close the lid with the light on!!! This MacBook is the only computer- access I have and I mean, IT'S PART OF MY LIFE!!! Please help!!! Mahalo! :p

If I'm not mistaken, that's usually what displays when the command doesn't have any switches (and so it won't execute). It's like a help file for the command pmset.

Just open terminal and type it in manually. I did it and it worked fine.

"pmset -g log" (without quotes)

Let me know if it works.

AlongTheBoat

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
If I'm not mistaken, that's usually what displays when the command doesn't have any switches (and so it won't execute). It's like a help file for the command pmset.

Just open terminal and type it in manually. I did it and it worked fine.

"pmset -g log" (without quotes)

Let me know if it works.

I manually typed the code out this time, but something similar popped out anyways? :confused:

"Usage: pmset [-b | -c | -u | -a] <action> <minutes> [<action> <minutes>...]
pmset -g [disk | cap | live | sched | ups | batt]
-b adjust settings used when running off a battery
-u adjust settings used while running off a UPS
-a (default) adjust settings for both
<action> is one of: displaysleep, sleep, disksleep (minutes argument)
or: reduce, dps, womp, ring, autorestart, powerbutton, halfdim,
lidwake, acwake, lessbright (with a 1 or 0 argument)
or for UPS only: haltlevel (with a percentage argument)
haltafter, haltremain (with a minutes argument)
or: hibernatefile <path> hibernatemode <integer>
hibernatefreeratio <integer percent>
hibernatefreetime <integer ms>
eg. pmset -c dim 5 sleep 15 spindown 10 autorestart 1 womp 1
pmset schedule [cancel] <type> <date/time> [owner]
pmset repeat cancel
pmset repeat <type> <days of week> <time>
<type> is one of: sleep, wake, poweron, shutdown, wakeorpoweron
<date/time> is in "MM/dd/yy HH:mm:ss" format
<time> is in "HH:mm:ss" format
<days of week> is a subset of MTWRFSU
[owner] optionally describes the event creator"

I am supposed to put the space in between the code exactly how it came out right???

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I manually typed the code out this time, but something similar popped out anyways? :confused:

Exactly what version of Mac OS X is on your computer?

Looking at the output you posted:
Code:
Usage:  pmset [-b | -c | -u | -a] <action> <minutes> [<action> <minutes>...]
       [B] pmset -g [disk | cap | live | sched | ups | batt][/B]
  ...etc...
The bold part (which I hilited) tells me that the pmset -g command on your computer won't recognize the log option.

The interpretation of the bold-hilited part is:
pmset -g must be followed by only one of the words disk, cap, live, sched, ups, or batt.
Notice that the word log is not listed.

The log option was added for 10.6 Snow Leopard. It's not available before then.

AlongTheBoat

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
My MacBook is a version before that, it's the 10.5.8 version.

I tried sleeping my MacBook, it seems to be sleeping in a flash again, so I am not sure what exactly is wrong with it the past two days... thanks anyways!

monkey1aj

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Hi

I realize this is a long time after the last post, but I have some questions about this issue. I have an iMac 2011 i5 21.5 inch running OSX Lion. iTunes and Mail both come up as 30000ms responses. Is there a way to fix this? :confused:

Thanks,

Ajith

NashDonnelly

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
Long delay to sleep... Fixed!!!

I finally figured out why my MacBook took so long to sleep once I clicked sleep.
I actually thought something was wrong with my MacBook but thankfully it's not! Follow these steps and I'm almost 100% sure this problem will be fixed!

1) Plug in the printer you use to your Mac.
2) Wait and see if anything prints without pressing anything.
3) If something is printing, just leave it, don't unplug it!
4) Once all your unfinished projects print, you should be 100% good.
5) Make sure everything is done printing.
6) After you unplug your printer from your Mac, then put your Mac in sleep mode. It should go to sleep immediately!
7) Your good to go!

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
To add to an old thread...
I was having this delayed sleep problem on one of my Macs.
2010 MacMini 10.8.3>old firewire iSight>21seconds to sleep.
Disconnect iSight=instant sleep.
No sleep delay with iSight connected running 10.6.8.

giocrive

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
same thing

hey guys. sorry to disturb, but i am having this issue since a few days and, though ive tried all is mentioned earlier here, i came to no solution.

here is what my terminal says:

Time stamp Domain Message Duration Delay
========== ====== ======= ======== =====
UUID: 6495FF51-6D3E-4789-A87F-C9048360569E
05/10/13 23:18:00 CEST Sleep Software Sleep Sleep: Using AC (Charge:33%) 25 secs
05/10/13 23:18:00 CEST Assertions PID 59(apsd) Released ApplePushServiceTask "com.apple.apsd-waitingformessages-push.apple.com" 00:04:03 id:0xc0000024d Aggregate:0x1040
05/10/13 23:18:00 CEST WakeRequests Clients requested wake events: None
05/10/13 23:18:25 CEST Wake Wake due to EHC1/HID Activity: Using AC (Charge:33%)
05/10/13 23:19:23 CEST Assertions Summary- Aggregate:0x40 Using Batt

how can i fix it?

and here is the previous sleep request; it seems the issue is different from the one before:

UUID: 39470AC2-05AF-4FE7-89FF-8A5AD6299482
05/10/13 19:21:01 CEST Sleep Software Sleep Sleep: Using BATT (Charge:7%) 12294 secs
05/10/13 19:21:01 CEST Timedout Kernel: Response from Google Chrome He timed out 30000 ms
05/10/13 19:21:01 CEST Timedout Kernel: Response from Google Chrome He timed out 30000 ms
05/10/13 19:21:01 CEST WakeRequests Clients requested wake events: None
05/10/13 22:45:52 CEST Assertions Summary- Aggregate:0x1040 Using AC

Buzzworms

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
Tucson, AZ
MacBook late '08 slow to sleep

This is Greek to me. Does anyone see anything here that might cause my MacBook to take 1m> to sleep? It's connected to a cinema display & bluetooth keyboard if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• Terminal.jpg
    Terminal.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.