Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Anki Drive game first demonstrated during Apple's WWDC keynote address in June is now available exclusively on the Apple Online Store and at Apple's retail outlets, in line with last week's announcement.

The game, described by Anki as a "video game in the real world", is somewhat similar to slot car racing, but uses artificial intelligence, machine learning, and iPhone-based controls.

The Anki Drive starter kit includes the vinyl "track" and two cars for $200. Two additional cars are available for $70 each, the red RHO, and the blue and gold KATAL.

Each Anki Drive car has its own unique name, personality, and statistics, with some offering greater acceleration speeds while others having more energy. There are multiple gameplay modes, including multiplayer and single player modes, with cars lacking a human controller using a proprietary AI system.

Anki will also be holding a series of special events at prominent Apple Retail Store locations around North America over the next few weeks, hitting San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Boston, and Montreal.

anki-800x450.jpg
The Anki Drive app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Anki Drive' Robotic Car Game Now Available at Apple's Online and Retail Stores

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
It's impressive but I feel their presentation was botched up by that hiccup they had. Who knows if that could potentially affect their sales.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
These things are pointless toys.

Just like all toys and all fun are pointless. That's the point!

As a fan of toys and fun, I want them! (But I kind of want that remote control ball thing more.)

It would be fun to try making your own tracks, if that's possible (surely not easy) to any meaningful extent.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'll wait till this is heavily discounted. Could be fun, but not 200$ fun.

Lazrhog

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
UK
I can see it in the USA Apple store but nowhere else. Looks like a USA exclusive for the time being .... doesn't quite feel right when you join in a global presentation from Apple and then limit your market - they will lose a lot of International Momentum after Xmas

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I can definitely see these AI types of games, as a category, having great future potential. The prices will eventually come down naturally, and more importantly, these games will become much more refined and sophisticated, at which point I believe they'll have the potential to catch on in a big way.

JSMencer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
I didn't get enough information from the presentation and would have liked to see more of the app. How do they get "smarter". I think my son would love this. IDK about buying him a $200 toy right now. he's 4, but he does have his own iPod touch. (so does my 2 year old daughter)

pocketscience

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Out There
I can see it in the USA Apple store but nowhere else. Looks like a USA exclusive for the time being .... doesn't quite feel right when you join in a global presentation from Apple and then limit your market - they will lose a lot of International Momentum after Xmas

I emailed them about the app not being available in non-US AppStores and they replied thusly:

Unfortunately, Anki DRIVE will not be available outside of the US and Canada this holiday season.

We do plan to expand internationally, but at this time we don't have any dates to announce. Please stay informed of product updates by signing up to our email list at http://www.anki.com or just check the website frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.