Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Begbie82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Hi,

I have an early 2011 macbook pro that I have changed my cd/dvd-room with an ssd drive, this is now giving me problem when I'm going to install windows 8.

My first warning is in bootcamp assistant that says:
"You need an optical drive to install Windows".
In earlier versions I could just make some changes in the bootcamp info.plist file, but what to do now?

Anyone know a trick around not having a cd-room? PS! I'm not interested in buying one ;)

Best regards
Begbie

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
Hi,

I have an early 2011 macbook pro that I have changed my cd/dvd-room with an ssd drive, this is now giving me problem when I'm going to install windows 8.

My first warning is in bootcamp assistant that says:
"You need an optical drive to install Windows".
In earlier versions I could just make some changes in the bootcamp info.plist file, but what to do now?

Anyone know a trick around not having a cd-room? PS! I'm not interested in buying one ;)

Best regards
Begbie

I believe the bootcamp assistant for that model will only take a Windows DVD from the internal optical drive, not USB key or external optical drive. I suggest looking into rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/) which might let you boot into a Windows installation on a USB drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.