Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burgerking2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
One of the features that I don't like about IOS 7 is the new camera burst mode.

Sure, it's a "cool" gimmick to have, but I don't want to have it enabled all the time.

Also, it seems the new camera will allow you to start taking photos immediately, even if it's not in focus.

I much prefer the old method in IOS 6 of taking 1 photo at a time that's in focus, which is accomplished by holding down the camera icon and then releasing. This method seems to results in sharper pictures vs tapping on the screen or pushing one of the side buttons. A single shot in focus is my need 99% of the time.

Only 1% of the time would I need a burst feature of 5 shots per second. So I really wish this were an optional setting that can be enabled/disabled, just like HDR.

And on most regular cameras, you can select "one shot" or "continuous shooting" mode.

Anyone else want to see this option added?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I hear you. Before iOS 7 I would often hold the "shutter" button so that I could quickly just let go and take a photo. Can't do that now.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

Sure, it's a "cool" gimmick to have, but I don't want to have it enabled all the time.

Also, it seems the new camera will allow you to start taking photos immediately, even if it's not in focus.

I much prefer the old method in IOS 6 of taking 1 photo at a time that's in focus, which is accomplished by holding down the camera icon and then releasing. This method seems to results in sharper pictures vs tapping on the screen or pushing one of the side buttons. A single shot in focus is my need 99% of the time.

Only 1% of the time would I need a burst feature of 5 shots per second. So I really wish this were an optional setting that can be enabled/disabled, just like HDR.

And on most regular cameras, you can select "one shot" or "continuous shooting" mode.

I usually tap the screen to set focus and then snap the photo, which is another method of achieving what you're looking for.

It's not the solution you're looking for but may help.

Fission

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
Apple figured a lot of blurry photos was better than a few in focus photos...Apple knows best

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Let's be clear about a few things:

- The iPhone camera is not good at capturing clear images when the target object is moving (i.e. kids, pets etc).
- Apple designed the burst mode specifically for the 5S because these shots go through post processing on the 5S to determine which pic is the clearest (less blurry).

I think it's a bug that the burst feature works on the iphone 5 because all it does it take a handful of pictures without any post processing.

It's not a gimmick. It really is a feature that is designed for the 5S only.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
In Apple's defense, the USER of an iPhone 5 can just go pick the clearest picture themselves after taking a burst shot. If time is of the essence in taking a picture... just take a million and pick the best later.

Note that of course, if you have the option turned on to upload to the cloud they'd all upload until you stopped the process by deleting from the camera roll and it could chew into your bandwidth, but I personally don't have that issue since I have unlimited data.

Thinking about it a little further, I kind of like the idea of that.

1. If you aren't so focused on your phone trying to get a clear shot- you might actually get to enjoy what it is you're taking a picture of for REAL. (Assuming some kind of action shot or what have you.)

2. When you later examine all the pictures to pick the best, you may find other interesting things in the other pictures that you might have otherwise missed.

3. Don't the pros just take a thousand pictures and pick the best later?

4. If the answer to #3 is 'yes' then I suspect if people were willing to spend a little time doing that then they may actually enjoy photography a little more as it would mean they're actually having to put a little effort into it.

5. Is there a way to turn off the automatic feature of picking the best and discarding the rest in the 5s? ;)

burgerking2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
In Apple's defense, the USER of an iPhone 5 can just go pick the clearest picture themselves after taking a burst shot. If time is of the essence in taking a picture... just take a million and pick the best later.

1. If you aren't so focused on your phone trying to get a clear shot- you might actually get to enjoy what it is you're taking a picture of for REAL. (Assuming some kind of action shot or what have you.)

2. When you later examine all the pictures to pick the best, you may find other interesting things in the other pictures that you might have otherwise missed.

3. Don't the pros just take a thousand pictures and pick the best later?

4. If the answer to #3 is 'yes' then I suspect if people were willing to spend a little time doing that then they may actually enjoy photography a little more as it would mean they're actually having to put a little effort into it.

5. Is there a way to turn off the automatic feature of picking the best and discarding the rest in the 5s? ;)

All I'm asking for is an option to turn on/off burst mode as needed. Like how you can turn on/off flash or HDR as needed.

Most cameras have "one shot" or "continuous shooting" modes that you can choose, depending on the need.

Frankly, I don't think there's anyone who wants to sort through a million pics to find one good one...

As to point #3 -- Yes, professionals may take 1000 shots over the course of an event, such as wedding, but I guarantee you they aren't taking them all in burst mode at 5 pics/second. They take 1 or 2 at a time, at selected moments.

And to point #4 -- No, I would not enjoy photography more if I ended with 10 pics on my camera roll just to find 1 good one. I would enjoy it much less...

But most of us are not professionals, we just want to take a simple pic of our friends and family. Or maybe a selfie or two ;)

I can't really think of many occasions where I would need burst mode, unless I was a sports photographer or need to capture fast action. That's why a toggle on/off might would be useful.

Anyways, I realize I can still tap the screen to take a photo, but like I said, the only thing I don't like is I'm finding more and more blurry shots in my camera roll than I did before in IOS 6. I think this is because IOS 7 will start shooting pics even before it's in focus or adjusting for lighting. In IOS 6, it wouldn't take the shot before first focusing.

The old method of holding the camera icon then releasing was a good way to ensure the camera was ready to take a clear pic.

Last edited:

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
I'd love a toggle to turn the burst off too

I use camera on the phone for work, so when I'm taking photos of the wiring or circuit board traces on a door control system there's not usually a lot of other interesting things I'm missing out on by concentrating on the phone and what its seeing :)

phones are already a pita to get decent focus at the short distances I'm typically taking photos at, without need to go banging a button to take the photo. That movement alone is often enough to lose focus and end up with a useless blurred shot.

Was much easier to use the previous method of releasing finger from camera icon when it had finally got focus

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

LOL

True in all my experience.

I don't doubt that is someone's experience. Another camera thread had something like "A bad photographer blames the equipment" meaning the camera is capable but the person may not be.

But more importantly, those blanket statements are false. Here's one of Apple's sample action shots. He's going slower than most dogs but faster than my soul sucking monsters, err, kids. So without knowing details of why the camera "can't", all someone can do it point out the camera specifications which will give expectations of what it can do. If you look at the exif metadata on a picture that didn't turn out well you'll be able to see why it didn't (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc.).

photo_6.jpg

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey, I'm not making this stuff up. Even Apple during the presentation used the example of kids not sitting still when you want to take a picture of them as a reason why they introduced the burst mode with post processing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey, I'm not making this stuff up. Even Apple during the presentation used the example of kids not sitting still when you want to take a picture of them as a reason why they introduced the burst mode with post processing.
But that doesn't mean the phone is bad at taking photos when motion is involved, just that Apple made it that much better with those features in iOS 7 and iPhone 5S.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah I have 5S. But 5 doesn't have burst mode?
iOS 7 brought something like a "burst" mode to non 5S phones as well--you hold the shutter button and it will keep on taking pictures. It doesn't do it as quickly as 5S nor will it analyze and offer you choices of the best ones at the end, but it is new camera functionality in iOS 7 in general.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
iOS 7 brought something like a "burst" mode to non 5S phones as well--you hold the shutter button and it will keep on taking pictures. It doesn't do it as quickly as 5S nor will it analyze and offer you choices of the best ones at the end, but it is new camera functionality in iOS 7 in general.

Oh that sucks :(

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
During an iPhone sync I just discovered I had 187 examples of a photo I wasn't even particularly interested in saving. Deleting them all was a major PIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.