Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joewhite89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I wanted to ask if Time Machine backups are accessible between different iterations of OS X. If, for example, I back up an old Mac running Mountain Lion, and buy a new MacBook Pro (which will ship with Mavericks), will I be able to access and transfer from the Mountain Lion Time Machine using the new Mavericks Mac?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I wanted to ask if Time Machine backups are accessible between different iterations of OS X. If, for example, I back up an old Mac running Mountain Lion, and buy a new MacBook Pro (which will ship with Mavericks), will I be able to access and transfer from the Mountain Lion Time Machine using the new Mavericks Mac?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer!

Yes you will... during the setup of the new machine you will be asked if you want to transfer data from an old machine. Just say yes and when prompted point to the Time Machine backup disk and it will bring everything in.

joewhite89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Yes you will... during the setup of the new machine you will be asked if you want to transfer data from an old machine. Just say yes and when prompted point to the Time Machine backup disk and it will bring everything in.

Thanks - would I also be able to set up the new Mac as "new," without doing an automated migration, and instead jump into Time Machine to hand-pick files I'd like to bring over?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks - would I also be able to set up the new Mac as "new," without doing an automated migration, and instead jump into Time Machine to hand-pick files I'd like to bring over?

Yes, you can do that. Or you can do the Migration Assistant route and just choose to import certain things. There is a screen that comes up where you can check off what you want. So you could import everything except say the Music and Picture folders if you wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.