Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecounthahaha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Hi,

I'm trying to burn some DVDs in NTSC format which is stumping me a bit at the moment.

What I have is a full res 126gb film at both 24fps and 25fps, and compressor 3.5.3 for Mac. I've used these to make UK PAL DVDs at 25fps with not much problem. I've also got a 24fps version of the film at around 4.5gb to put on DVDs in mov form.

Am I right in thinking that I can drag the film into compressor (24fps is best?), choose make a DVD and change the format from PAL to NTSC and the frame rate to 29.97 and it'll all work smoothly?

I've had a few tries already to not much success so far, getting an error most of the time saying:

"compressor this disc cannot be created because another application is using the drive"

The 85 minute mov has then been turned into a 9 hour m2v file that won't open properly...

Any help you could give me on this would be really really appreciated as I'm at a loss as what to do.

Thanks very much!

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Am I right in thinking that I can drag the film into compressor (24fps is best?), choose make a DVD and change the format from PAL to NTSC and the frame rate to 29.97 and it'll all work smoothly?

I think you're best dragging the 23.98fps version but not changing the frame rate to 29.97. You can make an NTSC DVD with 23.98fps video so long as it's correctly flagged for pulldown.

"compressor this disc cannot be created because another application is using the drive"

The 85 minute mov has then been turned into a 9 hour m2v file that won't open properly...

I think these are separate issues.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
what he said regards to frame rate make a progressive NTSC DVD flagged for pull down from 23.98 fps source

if it was 720p or 1080p HD footage you'ld then be good to go, but as its standard definition the other issue is likely to be frame size - PAL is 720*576 but an NTSC DVD is going to expect 720*480

If you've got your 24p footage from a cinema tools reconform of the 25fps PAL original (rather than a reencode) then you'ld still have 720*576 sized frames?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.