Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I'm confused by your question. Are you asking if you can daisy chain your TBD to a TV? If so, then the answer is no. You can only daisy chain a TBD to another TB device so you can't use your TV as a second display. Not sure where you read you can. Also, its against the rule to re-post on the exact same topic.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
well tv to to TB.. I just read from apple:

19. How do I connect my Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to my Thunderbolt-equipped Mac when I have other Thunderbolt devices connected?

When connecting a Mini DisplayPort display or a display using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to a Thunderbolt peripheral (except as described in question 14), make sure the display is connected at the end of the Thunderbolt chain. You can use only one Mini DisplayPort device in the Thunderbolt chain.

Note: Systems with more than one Thunderbolt port, like an iMac, can have more than one Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor connected with a Mini DisplayPort adapter connected as each Thunderbolt port can support one Mini DisplayPort display.

BUT before that is said: 20. Can I connect my Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to my Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Mini DisplayPort Monitors or Monitors connecting with Mini DisplayPort adapters will not function when connected through a Thunderbolt Display. They must be connected directly to the Thunderbolt port on the computer or to a non-display device as indicated above.

Which seems to suggest if I put something in the middle of the tv and display it will work..

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Which seems to suggest if I put something in the middle of the tv and display it will work..

You are correct. You can't plug a DisplayPort item directly into the output of a Thunderbolt Display... but if you have a different (non-display) Thunderbolt item, such as a Thunderbolt disk, you can plug the DisplayPort monitor (or adapter) into that.

Computer -> Thunderbolt Display -> Thunderbolt Disk -> MiniDP adapter -> TV

That will work.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
You are correct. You can't plug a DisplayPort item directly into the output of a Thunderbolt Display... but if you have a different (non-display) Thunderbolt item, such as a Thunderbolt disk, you can plug the DisplayPort monitor (or adapter) into that.

Computer -> Thunderbolt Display -> Thunderbolt Disk -> MiniDP adapter -> TV

That will work.

That seems to be what I read, have you seen setups like that or heard someone posting that it would work coz apple is not too clear on the wording.

I was thinking a hdd would be expensive (because I do not need one right now) it is all about 300 odd dollars anyways.. so I was looking to see how I can this done cheaply, the reason I want the tv connected is so I can easily watch what I have downloaded... so it is either getting another peripheral like maybe a belkin dock.. do you know if the dock would work properly if I connected off the back of a TB display... but then I would only be using it for that one TB port, seems kind of pricey for what I am going to want it for...

I am also contemplating apple tv, but that would have to be another post in that section.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
That seems to be what I read, have you seen setups like that or heard someone posting that it would work coz apple is not too clear on the wording.

I was thinking a hdd would be expensive (because I do not need one right now) it is all about 300 odd dollars anyways.. so I was looking to see how I can this done cheaply, the reason I want the tv connected is so I can easily watch what I have downloaded... so it is either getting another peripheral like maybe a belkin dock.. do you know if the dock would work properly if I connected off the back of a TB display... but then I would only be using it for that one TB port, seems kind of pricey for what I am going to want it for...

I am also contemplating apple tv, but that would have to be another post in that section.

I've tried it dude, I own two thunderbolt displays, but I had one for a month or so before picking up the second. It absolutely won't work having a tv hooked in via minidisplayport to hdmi adapter into a Thunderbolt display. However, if you have another device that doesn't end the daisy chain, like a my book thunderbolt duo plugged into the TBD, then you can plug your minidisplayport adapter hooked up to your tv into that and it will work.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Get the Apple TV. It's a good solution.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Yup just got it, decided it was the cheapest easiest solution, testing it out right now :)

Thanks guys for listening :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.