Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EddyBolt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Hi guys,

I wonder which upgrades options really worth with the new rMBP. So there are 3 upgrades for CPU

+ 2.4Ghz i5
+ 2.6Ghz i5 (add $90 more)
+ 2.8Ghz i7 (add $270 more)

I definitely go with the 16gb Ram so I just want to ask if it's worth the extra money in upgrading CPU? If so, which one should I get..

I mainly use it for basic schoolworks, streaming video to TV, league of legends and alot of HD movies.

Thanks in advanced!!!

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Hi guys,

I wonder which upgrades options really worth with the new rMBP. So there are 3 upgrades for CPU

+ 2.4Ghz i5
+ 2.6Ghz i5 (add $90 more)
+ 2.8Ghz i7 (add $270 more)

I definitely go with the 16gb Ram so I just want to ask if it's worth the extra money in upgrading CPU? If so, which one should I get..

I mainly use it for basic schoolworks, streaming video to TV, league of legends and alot of HD movies.

Thanks in advanced!!!

For what you're doing with it, I wouldn't bother with a CPU upgrade; in your case, not worth the $$. Since you can't upgrade the graphics on the 13" MBP, any extra money you wanted to spend would do you the most good in system memory or storage. I'd get at least the 8GB of memory, standard on the top 2 configs, and a $100 option on the entry level 13" MBP. After that, get the most storage (expensive) you can afford.

So IMHO never but RAM from Apple, it's to darn expensive. Go with third party RAM and install that RAM yourself and it will be much cheaper.

Sorry, but the RAM is soldered on, and not user replaceable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.