Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrivinWest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Republic of Texas
Subject pretty much says it all. When using the included headphones or Skullcandy's in-line mic headphones I get bad static during a phone call. The sound seems worse on the other end (people can barely hear me, I can hear them though through the static). Removing the earbuds and using either speaker works fine.

I have no such static listening to music either through iTunes Radio or files on my phone.

Anyone else having this issue?

thouwlin

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
iPhone 5S call static when using earbuds

Yep. Mine is horrid with both calls and music. It is like the connection is loose. I used a standard Bose cable and a Bose mic headset combo both worked fine.
It appears to be a bad deign in the earbud connector. The Bose connector is about .5MM longer and the bands that separate left, right, mic and ground are narrower on the Bose.

Subject pretty much says it all. When using the included headphones or Skullcandy's in-line mic headphones I get bad static during a phone call. The sound seems worse on the other end (people can barely hear me, I can hear them though through the static). Removing the earbuds and using either speaker works fine.

I have no such static listening to music either through iTunes Radio or files on my phone.

Anyone else having this issue?

DrivinWest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Republic of Texas
Yep. Mine is horrid with both calls and music. It is like the connection is loose. I used a standard Bose cable and a Bose mic headset combo both worked fine.
It appears to be a bad deign in the earbud connector. The Bose connector is about .5MM longer and the bands that separate left, right, mic and ground are narrower on the Bose.
Mine was defective from the factory. I brought it to the Apple Store and they tried it and replaced it on the spot.

The Apple Genius also thought that the sound was poor even without the headphones, but it wasn't obvious to me. The unit that replaced the first works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.