Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyonMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I recently decided to upgrade my mid 2011 iMac from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, but as soon as I did my computer began to crash every ten minutes or so and give me errors saying I am low on memory even though I have 16 GB and have an app telling me I have 9 GB free. I could not find an easy solution so I tried to reinstall snow leopard with the disc in my iMac box. Everything went alright until it restarted and now all I have is a screen that looks like this:

image.jpeg

Nothing is clickable and I can't do anything at all. If anyone could offer assistance I would really appreciate it!

Edit: If I wait about 10 minutes I can click things on the screen. However, when I click on my profile and try to log in. It will not accept my password.

Last edited:

hinterplayer

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Freeze During Login

Hmmm. I believe I have the same iMac. It could be that you had a bad disc, but I doubt that. Try holding the shift key and then press the power button to boot into safe mode. If that works, download the OS X 10.6.8 combo update from Apple. The update fixed several things for me on my early 2011 MacBook

RyonMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Well, I tried booting into safe mode but I got the same problem but with the standard snow leopard background instead of a blue one. I ended up just trying to install again and now everything works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.