Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I think Nintendo IS the next Sega....

WiiU has tanked, and the Wii sold at it's price point, but became expensive bookend/paper weight/dust fairy for the majority of owners who got bored with it after the novelty wore off.

They really have bad 3rd party support now too. (Almost non-existent.)

They would be better off publishing to other platforms, but I doubt they will do this any time soon. They will need one more console failure to get their heads out of the sand.

All you Nintendo Doomsayers underestimate the power of the Nintendo brand and their franchise.

The Wii U was released without a flagship 3D Mario or Zelda game. That was a big problem.

The 3DS was deemed to be a flop until Pokemon and other flagship games (like Super Mario 3D Land) were released and the price was brought down. The same will likely happen with the Wii U.

The new Super Mario 3D Worlds for the Wii U will sell millions of Wii U this holiday by itself , and when a new HD Zelda game is released next year many will buy the console if only for this game.

Becoming an iOS/Android game provider is something they can do at last resort and would be easy to do if they have to. It doesn't need years of planning and shifting a whole platform like Blackberry, Nokia and others who are used as examples to say "If Nintendo waits it will be too late". Nobody remembers Symbian. Mario is almost as big as Mickey Mouse.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
So - in short - you actually haven't bothered googling for Nintendo 3DS sales figures.

Really - get a grip on mobile gaming and stop regurgitating that Jobs/Schiller-fed-BS of "Apple is the #1 mobile gaming platform!"

These are sales prior to the availability of iOS integrated physical controllers. There will be dozens of these controllers shortly and they will be much cheaper than a N 3DS. Coupled with the superior processor and screen in the iPhone 5s the gaming experience on the iPhone will be superior, cheaper and more convenient. Game over for Nintendo.

Warblader

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
My new game "Dots Adventures" for iPad/iPhone is already MFi iOS controllers compatible. It also supports iCade controllers. It's a free retro style platformer game. Very addictive!! :)

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
These are sales prior to the availability of iOS integrated physical controllers. There will be dozens of these controllers shortly and they will be much cheaper than a N 3DS. Coupled with the superior processor and screen in the iPhone 5s the gaming experience on the iPhone will be superior, cheaper and more convenient. Game over for Nintendo.

The 3DS have something that iOS devices will never have, and that is Nintendo games. iOS supported controller will not hurt 3DS sales in the slightest.

tagy

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
UK
Is there such a thing as a 'standard button set' for these controllers? For instance, an Xbox 360 controller has two analogue sticks, L1, L2, L3, R1, R2, R3 A, B, X, Y and the D-pad. Will all iOS controllers have different numbers/combinations of buttons?

Things would be so much simpler if they're standard.

There are 2 standard layouts, one with analogue sticks and one without.

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Why do these mfi controller news always end up into a Nintendo thread??? Stop it!

jeffmetanna

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Possible Apple TV Launch in November

The lack of the MFI controller announcements (or any gaming-related announcements for that matter) during the last Apple event left me puzzled but it makes sense now.

Apple will host another media event in November to announce the highly anticipated, new Apple TV hardware with the heavy focus on the gaming. And we will see these controllers being demoed on stage to play "the true console quality" games on the new Apple TV. Given how Apple likes to pose their iOS devices as the post-console gaming machines, it makes perfect sense to announce the new Apple TV during this November and ruin (or try to ruin) Sony & MS's parades.

As for that controller in the article, I think you can use it on iPads too via bluetooth. It looks like any other typical gamepad when it's closed.

Codestud

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
If someone calls you whilst this controller is attached to your iPhone, you're going to look a bit silly holding this thing to your ear, whilst you take the call...

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
The lack of the MFI controller announcements (or any gaming-related announcements for that matter) during the last Apple event left me puzzled but it makes sense now.

Apple will host another media event in November to announce the highly anticipated, new Apple TV hardware with the heavy focus on the gaming. And we will see these controllers being demoed on stage to play "the true console quality" games on the new Apple TV. Given how Apple likes to pose their iOS devices as the post-console gaming machines, it makes perfect sense to announce the new Apple TV during this November and ruin (or try to ruin) Sony & MS's parades.

As for that controller in the article, I think you can use it on iPads too via bluetooth. It looks like any other typical gamepad when it's closed.

This Apple TV theory makes sense. ,aube this is why apple doesn't give a damn about their laggy lightning hdmi cables.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
This isn't a question of being careful, this fight is done. No one is going to buy a portable gaming platform when the phone in their pocket is more powerful and now has a better controller attached to it. It will be the android devices and the iphones that win this war. Sony and Nintendo will have to drop their portable devices in two years. They won't be able to afford to do the R&D for a next generation version. Nintendo will at least be able to make software for the iPhone and make more money of it there than they would have on their hardware. So it isn't the end of them by any means.

that's only if these mobile game devs actually create AAA titles.. looking at what's currently available and with all the extra in-app purchases.. i don't think mobile gaming is there yet.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
All you Nintendo Doomsayers underestimate the power of the Nintendo brand and their franchise.

The Wii U was released without a flagship 3D Mario or Zelda game. That was a big problem.

The 3DS was deemed to be a flop until Pokemon and other flagship games (like Super Mario 3D Land) were released and the price was brought down. The same will likely happen with the Wii U.

The new Super Mario 3D Worlds for the Wii U will sell millions of Wii U this holiday by itself , and when a new HD Zelda game is released next year many will buy the console if only for this game.

Becoming an iOS/Android game provider is something they can do at last resort and would be easy to do if they have to. It doesn't need years of planning and shifting a whole platform like Blackberry, Nokia and others who are used as examples to say "If Nintendo waits it will be too late". Nobody remembers Symbian. Mario is almost as big as Mickey Mouse.

I don't think I'm underestimating those brands. But will that be enough after other developers have abandoned the controllers to make software first for iOS and Android?

I think all of Nintendo and Sony's customers are going to have a very nice smartphone. They will have games on that phone and these side controllers will make those games play better. So they will buy the side controller. Then they will have better hardware on their phone. Developers will develop for the phones first as well. Nintendo will survive by shifting to developing for the iPhone. This will be an easy shift and one they can do late in the game because of how fast and easy it can be accomplished. They could start just by porting some older titles. It wouldn't even take a crack team to accomplish the port.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
For Nintendo that would make no sense at all

Make a Nintendo controller that sells for 99$ and make all their games available at the same price as their ds tittle on the iTunes Store.

For Nintendo: they get to sell their hardware plus millions of game copies. The iTunes 30% cut might be huge but the millions of sale will be worth it.
For consumers: needless to say, we get quality games for a slightly expensive apps. I'd say it's much better than spending money on today's crappy game which sells 10000 jewels for 99$ or sth

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
So - in short - you actually haven't bothered googling for Nintendo 3DS sales figures.
Nintendo 3DS sales in Japan. Not only is the Japanese game market shrinking, but the Japanese market share in the global video game industry has been steadily declining from 35% in 2001 down to barely 15% in 2012. So Nintendo is doing well in a shrinking market that's only 15% of the global market.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I think all of these controllers look good. And I will most likely get one... BUT... the real question is will game companies- like Sega, Capcom, Square-Enix, etc- ones that own a huge amount of retro IP offer up 'original' versions of their classics.

We've seen many of these games retrofitted with touch mechanics and menu systems, sometimes a complete departure from the original in order to make touch work. Unfortunately, clunky implementation along with distracting on-screen control pads heavily detract from the experience. These games simply weren't designed with touch in mind back in the day. If game companies go back and strip out the touch mechanics (please!), these new controllers will take off pretty fast and I'll fork over my money.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
Surely the stresses placed on the sides (mostly twisting) will warp and damage the iPhone? A dedicated controller has a chassis to take the strain.

----------

I think the pessimism is less to due with Nintendo's awesome game design but the business model of dedicated consoles that become deprecated every few years. At least with iOS devices, they're general use and the software's more portable between devices.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I think Nintendo IS the next Sega....

WiiU has tanked, and the Wii sold at it's price point, but became expensive bookend/paper weight/dust fairy for the majority of owners who got bored with it after the novelty wore off.

They really have bad 3rd party support now too. (Almost non-existent.)

They would be better off publishing to other platforms, but I doubt they will do this any time soon. They will need one more console failure to get their heads out of the sand.

I agree, I just didn't want to take it quite that far yet because Nintendo still has time to pull it together. It would be sad to see them go the way of Sega. The NES did to home gaming what the Mac did to home computing.

While I game exclusively on the PC/Mac (and have never owned a Nintendo product) and while I'd love to have Nintendo games developed natively for other platforms, there would also be something sad about that.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
that's only if these mobile game devs actually create AAA titles.. looking at what's currently available and with all the extra in-app purchases.. i don't think mobile gaming is there yet.

There are 200 million iOS users running iOS7. I think the game developers haven't developed AAA titles because the input methodology is relatively weak. But once the gamers have their controllers, the games are going to follow. The hardware is powerful, the screen is good, the phone is always with you, the controller will be relatively inexpensive, and the market is going to be pretty big. I think this happens and it happens pretty darn quick.

Also games like GTA and Batman are basically AAA. The FPS are fine as well. Really they just suffered from the fact that the controls are tough to use and your thumbs cover the screens.

Also your phone outputs to your Apple TV, which will be powerful enough to play a lot of games. So you can buy your game once, play it on your phone and on your couch. The phone becomes the controller for your Apple TV which becomes your console.

Justan00b

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2013
For Nintendo that would make no sense at all

Yeah! They'd ONLY stand to make millions (billions??) selling every game they ever made- on the App Store.
How could that POSSIBLY compare to the meager amount of cash they're making off gameboy hardware?

/sarcasm

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I think this looks great!

Provided this works wirelessly while "closed" as well (it would be a giant WTF if it doesn't), and is also able to work with my MacBook (OpenEmu for Mac!!!) this will be so, so, great for me since I don't really care about games enough to own any consoles or anything like that.

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't mention anything to do with these controllers during this week's presentation. I really want them to come out soon and get plenty of developer support.

Get them out in time for Angry Birds Go! (cart racing game)

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I don't think I'm underestimating those brands. But will that be enough after other developers have abandoned the controllers to make software first for iOS and Android?

I think all of Nintendo and Sony's customers are going to have a very nice smartphone. They will have games on that phone and these side controllers will make those games play better. So they will buy the side controller. Then they will have better hardware on their phone. Developers will develop for the phones first as well. Nintendo will survive by shifting to developing for the iPhone. This will be an easy shift and one they can do late in the game because of how fast and easy it can be accomplished. They could start just by porting some older titles. It wouldn't even take a crack team to accomplish the port.

Aaaaaaaaah - and you obviously don't have a clue about SmartGlass. Or the Playstation App. Sorry - myself not being a hardcore one but obviously you are no gamer at all. This is where smartphones are headed in gaming (and that is a great development).

Nintendo is doing well in the mobile business. They aren't having stellar growth but they have a loyal customer base they cater to. They may get short term massive growth with going iOS but they'll lose their closed hardware infrastructure and business model.

To put that into perspective: You are just like those crazy guys stating Apple should license OS X to third party vendors. Google MacClones and see how well that went.

----------

What is wrong with you guys?!? Every once in a while somebody turns up in these threads stating the obvious: As soon as AppleTV will gain games it will crash the console market.

Get a grip. Really. Honestly.

4 weeks from now I will be on XBox One, and before I'd even consider giving a "gaming Apple TV" any chance I'd rather directly go the Steam Machine route. You heard about that? Educate yourself and learn who may have the right mindset to crush into the console market. Right. That's Valve.

As a matter of fact one thing is for sure: Apple and "real gaming" are just two confronting worlds. And now think about your gaming on the Mac when you had to rely on the AppStore instead of Steam.

----------

Nintendo 3DS sales in Japan. Not only is the Japanese game market shrinking, but the Japanese market share in the global video game industry has been steadily declining from 35% in 2001 down to barely 15% in 2012. So Nintendo is doing well in a shrinking market that's only 15% of the global market.

Oh come on...being available for 2 years now, the 3DS is not doing to shabby. There you go - cumulative sales.

And as you can see on this very page Nintendo just grabbed a ton of cash with Pokemon X/Y selling 4 million copies.

What was your argument again? Just to remember you - mine was Nintendo is doing well. They could care less about iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.