Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nexus14

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Hi there,

I have an old iPhone 4 sitting around. With the recent update to Google Hangouts which allows for free voice calling, does this mean that you can use your old iPod touch or iPhone as an alternative to your landline?

Anyone with experience on this?

kb12252004

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
Hi there,

I have an old iPhone 4 sitting around. With the recent update to Google Hangouts which allows for free voice calling, does this mean that you can use your old iPod touch or iPhone as an alternative to your landline?

Anyone with experience on this?

I do this by using Talkatone, a free app which uses Google Voice. I actually use this on my iphone 5c in addition to the native iphone app in order to conserve minutes on my limited cellular phone plan. Better still, it also has SMS texting that also works through your chosen internet connection. Most of the time I tend to be around Wi-Fi, so I utilize Talkatone during those times (or Facetime if the other person has it.) The only downside is that on occasion the connection may drop for a second or two, but not to the point where it is unusable. One suggestion though, if you use Talkatone, be sure to turn on push notifications in the settings so it will "ring" when receiving an incoming call. As a footnote, before upgrading to the iphone 5c, I actually tried this out on an ipod touch and it worked great. But to use it on the go with cellular data, I had to have a mi-fi, which was too problematic with unstable internet connections. Hope this helps.

Bowsa2511

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
Yeah, before you had to use 3rd party apps like Talkatone and others to make use of your google account for voice calls, but now hangouts has official calling capabilities, so yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.