Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Vote with your wallets

guys !!! i need to know where i can be legitamly herd by apple when i say this whole COMMUNITY DISSAPROVES OF THE REMOVAL OF dGPU IN THE 15 inch !

its a serious offence to not even offer it in the options when you customize it. INTEL IRIS PRO SUCKS and is 6% SLOWER THAN THE nVIDEA gtx 650m let alone the 750. DO NOT BUY the base 15inch LET THAT **** TANK in sales so they remove it and put it back together the right way PLEASE @@@@@@@@

nunomoreira10

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
power is relative,
with all that power you would think that by now ipads could do multitasking and such, being a full operating system, maybe by the time air goes arm and retina that jump will be made

It seems like iPads are catching up really quick to the speed of these machines. The late 2013 base-model 13" retina has a Geekbench of 5362 and the iPad Air should bench around 2800, or about 10-15% faster than the iPhone 5S. So the iPad Air is about half as fast as a MacBook Pro 13". Pretty crazy to think about!

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
guys !!! i need to know where i can be legitamly herd by apple when i say this whole COMMUNITY DISSAPROVES OF THE REMOVAL OF dGPU IN THE 15 inch !

its a serious offence to not even offer it in the options when you customize it. INTEL IRIS PRO SUCKS and is 6% SLOWER THAN THE nVIDEA gtx 650m let alone the 750. DO NOT BUY the base 15inch LET THAT **** TANK in sales so they remove it and put it back together the right way PLEASE @@@@@@@@

I love posts like this. If you only knew how little 90%+ of retail, and business alike, customers use MAYBE 1/2 of their machines potential you would realize why Apple does this. The fact is if you could get away with doing the same in your own business for the sake of any number of financial gains to be had you would, plus, like I mentioned, most people will never know the difference and there is zero that is hidden about it. If you want the higher end goodies, pay to play.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Well, this confirms my hunch that the refurb 13" rMBP with a 2.6 GHz i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and 256GB storage for $1229 is a much better buy than the new 13" rMBP with a 2.4 GHz i5 processor, 4GB RAM, and 128GB storage for $1299.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc

your spelling is a serious offense...

just bustin your chops man :) happy friday!

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
So, as I posted last time Intel bumped their GPU speed: 50% faster than their previous GPU, but still much slower than a real GPU in real usage. 10.6 fps is awfully low, an integrated GPU powering the retina resolution is really pushing it... The performance will be worse than the previous generation, especially on the now retina 13" with 4 times as many pixels to push.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
It's nice to see numbers like this. I look forward to the day when something like a Mac Mini or 13" MBP will be good enough for my gaming needs. I'm by no means a hardcore gamer but it would be nice to be able to play a modern game at decent frame rates on a non-dGPU Mac. Maybe in 2 or 3 more generations...

So, as I posted last time Intel bumped their GPU speed: 50% faster than their previous GPU, but still much slower than a real GPU in real usage.

They're getting there. I never thought Intel would come so far in graphics. We're pretty much at the point where iGPUs are good enough for the occasional, not too demanding game. A few years ago, you wouldn't even think of playing even older games on an iGPU.

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Nice scores in Cinebench as compared to my Late 2008 MBP, It could only muster 13.4 FPS on it's discrete graphics.

Been debating a 13 inch Retina MBP, but have been worried about the GPU ability for photo / video work. Still waiting how well it runs FCPx before I take the plunge. I don't expect to do large projects on any laptop, but would be nice to touch existing projects up, or start them out in the field!

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
What does it all mean??

Can I play some games on the 13'???
Edit movies? and use Aperture without any problems?

How fast macbook pro 13" will get if I upgrade to core i7??

I have no idea which mac to get.

Fairchild

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Well, this confirms my hunch that the refurb 13" rMBP with a 2.6 GHz i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and 256GB storage for $1229 is a much better buy than the new 13" rMBP with a 2.4 GHz i5 processor, 4GB RAM, and 128GB storage for $1299.

Is it? You get slower graphics (15-20%), poorer battery life, slower ssd performance on reads (30%).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Did you know that Safari has a built-in spelling checker?

BTW. Speak for yourself. I totally approve of replacing a discrete GPU with a quite speedy integrated one that costs a lot less and uses a whole lot less power.

evilspoons

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
You can't compare a 500 GB SSD to a 120 GB SSD and expect performance to be similar. More capacity = more NAND flash devices = more parallel performance for higher speeds.

Also: cirus, while Anandtech is a great source for tech news, those benchmarks you posted are for Iris Pro, which is in the 15" rMBP. The 13" just has Iris (no Pro) which is slower.

Pikkuroope

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
What's up with all these people saying that removing dedicated graphics was a huge mistake. Integrated does not equal bad anymore... That Iris Pro is plenty of power. Also, those saying that making people pay a few extra hundred bucks for the better one is a huge mistake. How is it that someone can afford the $2000 version but not the $2600? Seriously, if you can put $2000 in a laptop no problem but not a few extra hundred bucks, you shouldn't consider putting the two grand in it in the first place. Another thing is then that if the only thing you want is performance, you should probably consider something like this, sli 750m for $1200, and not the rMBP. Apple doesn't do most bang for buck, that's just how it is.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Not everyone uses Macbooks purely for gaming. You can do other things with them too!

I am one of them I have a customised iMac on order with the nvidia 780m card, I recently bought a late 2013 13" macbook retina with 8gb of ram for daily tasks as i do not game on it much. Counting the fact that i will have two games consoles a WII U and PS4 for game, a desktop more than capable for mac gaming and I will getting a iPad mini for playing games in bed. I have a motto the more you have the less you use.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
It's nice to see numbers like this. I look forward to the day when something like a Mac Mini or 13" MBP will be good enough for my gaming needs. I'm by no means a hardcore gamer but it would be nice to be able to play a modern game at decent frame rates on a non-dGPU Mac. Maybe in 2 or 3 more generations...

They're getting there. I never thought Intel would come so far in graphics. We're pretty much at the point where iGPUs are good enough for the occasional, not too demanding game. A few years ago, you wouldn't even think of playing even older games on an iGPU.

The IGPU on Broadwell is going to be 30-40% faster, according to Intel. While that sounds impressive, what you're looking for isn't that far off; all indications point to Skylake being a beast and may be the biggest jump we've seen in a very long time.

blubyu

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
With i7, 16GB, and 1TB, barely passable for temporary use NOW.

Samsung shill...

----------

Actually it isn't. But if you want to continue to be an idiot by all means go ahead.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
lmfao defend the 15inch base more , you sit there so high and mighty telling people oh yeah if you can spend 2k on a laptop u can spend the 2600 ? UH NO

that 600 is a nice new ipad air. 600 is food for 2 months. 600 for an increase in ssd and dedicated graphics is NOT acceptable. do NOT encourage apple or they will keep steam rolling you. it was a shady move and they should of kept a graphics card in there. a lot of macbook pro users play games, use CAD, maya, and other 3d rendering programs. the iris pro is getting there to the level of the newest mobile cards but to not even let us upgrade is too much. i really hope no one buys it so that they change their mind otherwise they wont :[

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.