Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
Hello there,

I will buy a new rmbp 15 inch for photography (lightroom+photoshop). I will use this computer for the next 4-5 years. I am afraid of the performance of the iris pro 5200 in terms of scrolling-ui lag experienced since the beginning of the retina macbook pro. A couple posts here already mention the scrolling lag is not resolved...I don't understand why this happens...

I would prefer not to spend almost 3K with the dgpu model. I will connect the macbook pro with a 27 inch display and use a scaled resolution...

thank you for your input.

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
i was afraid of that too!

that's why i went with the 15inch 2.3/ 16gb/1Tb/750m and i´ll use the gfxcardstatus software to disable the 750m and re-enabled it only when needed. :rolleyes:

Bradf50

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Hi buddy. Thought I'd register to help you out. Just received the rmbp today. My spec is the 2.3/16GB/512GB model. On my previous 2012 rmbp I installed an free application called gfxCardStatus, in which it gives you a notification of what graphics solution it's using at a given time. Regarding scrolling I've not yet experienced any scroll lag after a day of using it which is still using integrated graphics on Chrome. The app will also let you switch to Integrated or Discrete only. So I tried it on "Integrated only" on Photoshop editing some RAW images and it handled it completely fine. So I'd say it would be fine for your needs at the moment, however If I was going to keep my computer for 4-5 years I'd go for the discrete GPU model tho.

Hope I could help. Thanks:D

Brad.

kronosqq

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Hi buddy. Thought I'd register to help you out. Just received the rmbp today. My spec is the 2.3/16GB/512GB model. On my previous 2012 rmbp I installed an free application called gfxCardStatus, in which it gives you a notification of what graphics solution it's using at a given time. Regarding scrolling I've not yet experienced any scroll lag after a day of using it which is still using integrated graphics on Chrome. The app will also let you switch to Integrated or Discrete only. So I tried it on "Integrated only" on Photoshop editing some RAW images and it handled it completely fine. So I'd say it would be fine for your needs at the moment, however If I was going to keep my computer for 4-5 years I'd go for the discrete GPU model tho.

Brad.

I have similar worries about Iris Pro on the base model, have you by any chance done any gaming while on integrated only?

Bradf50

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
I have similar worries about Iris Pro on the base model, have you by any chance done any gaming while on integrated only?

Don't do much gaming on my laptop mate, sorry I can't really help you there.:eek:

There's a thread comparing integrated vs discrete. Here

EDIT: All I can really say so far is... using integrated only for a while doing tasks such as Photoshop, web browsing and watching videos etc it handles it as well as I could hope for. I haven't had any issues so far. Scrolling as I mentioned earlier is silky smooth.

NOTE: My screen resolution is set to 1680 x 1050 if that helps.

Thanks, Brad.:D

mamon343

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
North America
Don't do much gaming on my laptop mate, sorry I can't really help you there.:eek:

There's a thread comparing integrated vs discrete. Here

EDIT: All I can really say so far is... using integrated only for a while doing tasks such as Photoshop, web browsing and watching videos etc it handles it as well as I could hope for. I haven't had any issues so far. Scrolling as I mentioned earlier is silky smooth.

NOTE: My screen resolution is set to 1680 x 1050 if that helps.

Thanks, Brad.:D

What you mean by 1680x1050? Doesn't it run at 2800x1800?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
What you mean by 1680x1050? Doesn't it run at 2800x1800?

The 15-inch has a native resolution of 1440x900, and you can go up from there. If the display actually ran at its actual resolution of 2800x1800, then things would be incredibly small.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013

Brad.

Can you give some numbers on your cpu temperature while just using integrated? Notice a difference when gpu is turned on? ty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.