Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Last night i was on Youtube on my 4 year old Imac when suddenly the screen went blank and i could not get any videos to play.i tried signing out of youtube and back in but still didnt work.Went to a number of other sites and no clips would work.My internet from comcast had same strong signal it has always had.Found two small system updates for my Mac that did not require a restart available and downloaded and installed them but they had no effect.Out of frustration I shut down Imac(usually do this only once a week) and a few minutes later Started it up and all was fine.
Could anyone explain this glitch to me that I have never seen before? thanks

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Last night i was on Youtube on my 4 year old Imac when suddenly the screen went blank and i could not get any videos to play.i tried signing out of youtube and back in but still didnt work.Went to a number of other sites and no clips would work.My internet from comcast had same strong signal it has always had.Found two small system updates for my Mac that did not require a restart available and downloaded and installed them but they had no effect.Out of frustration I shut down Imac(usually do this only once a week) and a few minutes later Started it up and all was fine.
Could anyone explain this glitch to me that I have never seen before? thanks

When you say "the screen went blank" do you mean the little window that the videos play in on the web site or your entire screen? If the former, this happens to me occasionally. I just write it off as a problem with YouTube or (more likely) it's Flash because it's utter crap. If you are talking about the latter, this could be a sign that you having some kind of intermittent hardware issue and may be unrelated to YouTube.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
This might help you.
I used to have a very similar issue (if not the same). Videos online would not play. After lots of stressing about my computer and digging through Safari, I found that it had to do with Flash (it always does).
Steps to my fix:
1-Go into your Mac System Preferences on your dock
2-At the bottom under Other, go into Flash Player
3-In the Storage tab (the default screen), click the "Allow sites to save information on this computer"
4-Restart Safari and checkout those sites with videos.

cats4jan

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Got it check-marked - didn't help

Updated Flash - didn't help

The good news?? The ads don't play either.

Lack of ads almost make me not want to fix issue. Without dancing ads, my websites are working better. :rolleyes:

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Got it check-marked - didn't help

Updated Flash - didn't help

The good news?? The ads don't play either.

Lack of ads almost make me not want to fix issue. Without dancing ads, my websites are working better. :rolleyes:

So you have the same issue!Must be something going on.I fixed mine by simply shutting down and waiting a few minutes and starting up again.Seems fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.