Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fortiores

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I apologize if this is something posted frequently, but I have a question.

I'm not computer retarded, but I'm certainly not computer educated. And I would like some opinions from people who are more experienced and knowledgable in this area.

Basically, I have an older version of the macbook pro, which I believe is a mid-2012 model. And I've been contemplating on selling it to purchase something that would accommodate my needs more.

Basically, what I need out of a laptop and what I use it for is the following:
-Light, Mobile, using it 4-5 different places a day
-Note taking in class
-Having enough battery life to last 6-7 hours without a charge (I find that my macbook pro dies or becomes very low in battery on long school days, even when I'm not using very demanding features, programs, and brightness)
-Having an archive of notes from all my classes and studies
-Surfing the web, with multiple tabs at a time
-Carry a small music collection (I usually have maximum of 500 songs at a given time)
-Watching youtube videos
-Watching streams

My macbook pro does everything I need, what I am asking is, will the macbook air achieve everything I need? And is it worth it to sell my macbook pro get an 13inch Air?

Thank you very much.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Your current machine is perfect for those tasks - the MacBook Air is also perfect.

Your financial position should be the main source of your decision since your current machine is adequate.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
you're not going to see much difference...

you'll get better battery and it will be lighter to carry around (in addition to not needing to carry the charger, as well)... that is it.

of course the ssd is snappier, etc.

financially, if you were to go for the base air, you should be able to not lose any money (or barely any) once your mbp is sold. so even-steven.

Fortiores

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Your current machine is perfect for those tasks - the MacBook Air is also perfect.

Your financial position should be the main source of your decision since your current machine is adequate.

Thanks for your reply sir.

I'm entering into graduate school soon, specifically a Doctorate program. I could probably sell my macbook for 1,000, and pay 200-400 dollars with not a big problem. So finance isn't the end of the world.

I couldn't help but notice that your signature states you have a MBA 11''. How has that been working for you? What tasks do you use it for? Also, if I was to get a macbook air 13'', do you recommend getting any additional hardware or adding any options? Also, do you think apple care is worth it?

Sorry for burying you in questions! :p

----------

you're not going to see much difference...

you'll get better battery and it will be lighter to carry around (in addition to not needing to carry the charger, as well)... that is it.

of course the ssd is snappier, etc.

financially, if you were to go for the base air, you should be able to not lose any money (or barely any) once your mbp is sold. so even-steven.

Thank you for your reply.

That is a very valid point, I would also not need to carry around the charger. My Pro dies within 5-6 hours of use if lucky, when on the least energy demanding settings. Do you perhaps know how long the actual battery life of an Air is? (You know apple with all their not applicable battery life claims!)

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
The 2013 MBA are fairly accurate on the battery time - especially with Mavericks.

The 2011 MBA is used by my wife for web surfing, documents, music, grading. Works great for very simple tasks.

I think you would greatly enjoy a SSD which the MBA has.

I generally think AppleCare is a good purchase - as long as you dont pay retail for it. I purchase from B&H Video online.

Fortiores

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
The 2013 MBA are fairly accurate on the battery time - especially with Mavericks.

The 2011 MBA is used by my wife for web surfing, documents, music, grading. Works great for very simple tasks.

I think you would greatly enjoy a SSD which the MBA has.

I generally think AppleCare is a good purchase - as long as you dont pay retail for it. I purchase from B&H Video online.

That's interesting, I've never knew you could look other places for apple care. As far as hardware, do you suggest adding more RAM or Memory or anything else to the stock MBA 13'' ?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
That's interesting, I've never knew you could look other places for apple care. As far as hardware, do you suggest adding more RAM or Memory or anything else to the stock MBA 13'' ?

Depends on your needs

What tasks will you use this for?
How long will you keep this Mac?

Fortiores

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Depends on your needs

What tasks will you use this for?
How long will you keep this Mac?

The tasks I listed above in my original post.

Web browsing with multiple tabs, note taking, watching youtube videos, watching streams, carrying small music collection, social networking, ect.

As far as how long, I want to keep it for as long as its functional.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
for is the following:
-Note taking in class*
-Having enough battery life to last 6-7 hours without a charge* (I find that my macbook pro dies or becomes very low in battery on long school days, even when I'm not using very demanding features, programs, and brightness)
-Having an archive of notes from all my classes and studies*
-Carry a small music collection (I usually have maximum of 500 songs at a given time)
-Watching youtube videos
-Watching streams

Three points* I'll touch on.

Even a 2010-2012 should handle these battery needs. A 2013 is ideal though as it can last upwards of 15 hours of reasonable use on one battery charge running Mavericks.

Notes and archiving can be done w/ another iDevice and merge in the iCloud. But I'm sure you're already aware of that. I only bring it up as you could possibly leave your current Pro at one location while only using your iPhone for note taking and archiving knowing you could then access them on your Pro when needed.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
I know it was in jest, but the word "computer retarded" is terrible. You should at the very least edit your post and apologize. Mental retardation is not funny.

Fortiores

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Unless your financial well off - I would get the base 13" 128 or 256GB storage

I am not financially strained, but I don't have loads of cash to throw around. What is your opinion on upgrading from 4gb to 8gm RAM? Or would you see the storage as a priority over this?

----------

Three points* I'll touch on.

Even a 2010-2012 should handle these battery needs. A 2013 is ideal though as it can last upwards of 15 hours of reasonable use on one battery charge running Mavericks.

Notes and archiving can be done w/ another iDevice and merge in the iCloud. But I'm sure you're already aware of that. I only bring it up as you could possibly leave your current Pro at one location while only using your iPhone for note taking and archiving knowing you could then access them on your Pro when needed.

My macbook pro runs into two problems:
1. Battery Life. Sometimes I can be at school for up to 8 hours. And nothing is more annoying then my macbook pro running out of battery half way through a class. Sometimes there are no power outlets on the desks, so the machine that holds all my information is inaccessible.
2. Weight (More of convenience thing). I'm on the move constantly. I use my laptop at home, in 2-3 classes a day, library, coffee shop, girlfriends house, before classes in the hallway ect. So the lighter weight will be gratefully accepted.

I think this decision boils down to if I can find a person who wants to purchase my macbook pro, for an acceptable price.

Fortiores

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I know it was in jest, but the word "computer retarded" is terrible. You should at the very least edit your post and apologize. Mental retardation is not funny.

You're being a little over sensitive. I have a member of my family that is mentally ill, and even I am not this sensitive. I don't understand why people are this easily offended.

----------

Upgrade to 8GB ram for sure

Thanks for the reply!

Man, these upgrades really do add up at the checkout though :p

Last edited:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I would say 8GB RAM is more important - you can work around storage. External drive if needed - can't add RAM.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
but I have a question.

Everybody does. One of these day we will have to charge for personalized response.

2013 Air is Perfect for you. Battery lasts all day (real life, not just theoretical, already confirmed by many posts in this forum), and it does everything from your list.

Go4rit.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I apologize if this is something posted frequently, but I have a question.

I'm not computer retarded, but I'm certainly not computer educated. And I would like some opinions from people who are more experienced and knowledgable in this area.

Basically, I have an older version of the macbook pro, which I believe is a mid-2012 model. And I've been contemplating on selling it to purchase something that would accommodate my needs more.

Basically, what I need out of a laptop and what I use it for is the following:
-Note taking in class
-Having enough battery life to last 6-7 hours without a charge (I find that my macbook pro dies or becomes very low in battery on long school days, even when I'm not using very demanding features, programs, and brightness)
-Having an archive of notes from all my classes and studies
-Watching youtube videos
-Watching streams

My macbook pro does everything I need, what I am asking is, will the macbook air achieve everything I need? And is it worth it to sell my macbook pro get an 13inch Air?

Thank you very much.

I have similar situation last year with my mbp 2009, until finally I sold it and add few hundred $$ for macbook air 2012 8GB. No regret so far, and the weight is especially so light compared to mbp. Other things I like are cooler, faster (SSD) and more crispy screen.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
My response to the original post..

I came from a 2012 13" Pro to an 11" Air.

The portability is dramatically increased. It's even a lot faster due to the flash architecture.

Biggest feature is the battery, I love it. Half the time it says there's 20 hours left when I'm on Word!

I'd say go for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.