Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twitch31

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2013
I did the same last year, the only thing, and it is a big issue for me is image management. It is so much of an issue that I went back to Aperture. Can I ask what approach you are using now for managing your files?:confused:

My way of organising my photos turned out to suit LR better than Aperture.

I like simple yyyy\mmm\dd structure. On import I get LR to organise the files this way automatically. Unlike Aperture, LR then allows me to navigate my files in this way automatically whereas with aperture I had to keep setting up a new project for each month, and I didn’t get nice subfolder views for days. For holidays or significant events I keyword the photos on import in LR and use smart collections to group them.

I still use Aperture for books though, more because I’m too lazy to learn LR book module and I like the quality of the Aperture books.

egis

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
Bethesda, Maryland
My way of organising my photos turned out to suit LR better than Aperture.

I like simple yyyy\mmm\dd structure. On import I get LR to organise the files this way automatically. Unlike Aperture, LR then allows me to navigate my files in this way automatically whereas with aperture I had to keep setting up a new project for each month, and I didn’t get nice subfolder views for days. For holidays or significant events I keyword the photos on import in LR and use smart collections to group them.

I still use Aperture for books though, more because I’m too lazy to learn LR book module and I like the quality of the Aperture books.

Thanks very much for your response. Now with a 'New' Aperture tbr along with Mac Pro, I think I will hold off doing anything until I see what Apple may offer. It certainly should keep this forum charged for the next few months.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
When
hell-freezes-over.jpeg

Not 4.0 yet, so still frozen!

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
So they updated it, but it's not a new version.
Will there be a new version with the new Mac Pro?
Will this hypothetical new version only run on the Mac Pro?
What does this mean for the status of Aperture?
Is anyone going to stop using Aperture as a result of this?

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
What does this mean for the status of Aperture?

It doesn't mean anything for the status of aperture - we know exactly as much as we knew yesterday. What we do know for sure is that Apple are currently still devoted to providing continual support & updates to a great piece of software.

Is anyone going to stop using Aperture as a result of this?

The day after Apple have released an update!? I think that would be pretty insane personally. Remember that Apple have never said a single thing to suggest Aperture 4 is on the cards - It is all just speculation.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Looks like I stand by my Aperture rants. Yet another "update" adding more iOS functionality.

InfiniteLoopy

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
What we do know for sure is that Apple are currently still devoted to providing continual support & updates to a great piece of software.

The day after Apple have released an update!? I think that would be pretty insane personally. Remember that Apple have never said a single thing to suggest Aperture 4 is on the cards - It is all just speculation.
I'm not saying that we should abandon Aperture, but nearly all of their apps have been significantly updated and Aperture just got a very minor update. I still use Aperture as I like its layout but I hope we see some sort of commitment when the Mac Pro is released; and I hope that it won't be Mac Pro-only.

Looks like I stand by my Aperture rants. Yet another "update" adding more iOS functionality.

I tend to agree. I'd like to see Apple commit to providing Aperture for pros.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I'm not saying that we should abandon Aperture, but nearly all of their apps have been significantly updated and Aperture just got a very minor update. I still use Aperture as I like its layout but I hope we see some sort of commitment when the Mac Pro is released; and I hope that it won't be Mac Pro-only.

I tend to agree. I'd like to see Apple commit to providing Aperture for pros.

Here's my take on the next version of Aperture. It's quite obviously not "abandon ware" as it is updated continuously, maybe not with what some folks want, but updated nonetheless. If both patents and Apple's history with FCP X, and to some extent Logic, are any indicator, the next version may also offer a different take on workflow, which may send everyone, particularly pros, into a tizzy. When people say they want an update to Aperture, the sentiment seems to boil down to: "I want something that works like Lightroom" and that's not often how Apple operates (again, witness FCP X, iWork, etc). It might be a fairly large shakeup. In fact, I'd be surprised if it didn't shake things up (at least in some areas). With Apple, you have to be careful what you ask for :).

Apple is always difficult to pin down and predict, but with the patent work, hiring for Aperture, the fact that they did significantly update their other "pro" apps, and the fact that they continue to put significant resources into the tool with regular updates and new features (yes, yes, I know "iOS and social features"), these are as strong a set of indicators we're likely to get that something is on the horizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.