Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I am trying to decide between these two and it isn't easy. The wired one is more reliable but I don't truly have a use for a numpad (I can mostly touch-type with a row of numbers).. What is preferred around here?

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Do you use USB devices often? (plugging in iOS device for syncing, USB memory stick, etc etc)

The wired keyboard has a USB port on the left and right sides under the rear edge. I don't know if you're using a desktop or portable Mac, so placement and access of USB ports may be of interest to you.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
I've found that the wireless keyboard is easier to type on because it's smaller than the span from my left little finger to my right on when I have my hands placed side to side on top of it.

I am trying to decide between these two and it isn't easy. The wired one is more reliable but I don't truly have a use for a numpad (I can mostly touch-type with a row of numbers).. What is preferred around here?

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I've switched to the Logitech K811 wireless keyboard which is built specifically for iMac and other Apple products. It's rechargeable and seems to last forever on a charge at least for me.

Styling is nicer than the mac keyboard with black keys and aluminum body to better match the iMac. The keys are also back-lit and have a proximity sensor that lights up the keys when you put your hands near it.

So far it's been an exceptional product and can pair via bluetooth with up to 3 devices. USB charge cord is also included. Cheers!

http://www.gadgetmac.com/reviews/logitech-bluetooth-easy-switch-k811-keyboard-for-mac-review.html

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
My experience is that Apple keyboards pretty easy die when cleaning them, or at least a few keys do. No Apple keyboards for me any more. Also no way to open and repair them.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I have used both of these keyboards extensively and go with the wired one. Hands down!

1. For starters the Fn key in the bottom left of the wireless keyboard is semi-rage inducing, particularly if you're a keyboard-shortcut guru like myself. The control key operates a lot of shortcuts in MS apps not to mention tab-switching in your browser (control-Tab). I really hate that stupid Fn key down there.
  2. Two USB ports on the wired keyboard. Good for thumb drives, SD card reader access or digital camera. You can't use these to charge iOS devices though.
  3. You might not be a big fan of the num pad, but I highly suggest you become a fan of the full-size arrow keys, and the page up/down, home/end keys. They save half a second at a time, but more importantly its easy on the brain to navigate with.
  4. Reverse delete key!
  5. The num-pad doesn't hurt to have.
  6. Batteries! This doesn't matter everyday, but it will matter one day and it generally comes at an inconvenient time.

mjt57

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
South Eastern Australia
Two USB ports on the wired keyboard. Good for thumb drives, SD card reader access or digital camera. You can't use these to charge iOS devices though.
Are the USB ports USB 2 or 3?

I bought a Mac Mini recently, having converted from a long time Windows user. The MM has 4 USB 3 ports, all of which are filled with cables for mouse, keyboard, data cable for iphone/ipad and an external USB DVD burner.

So, I'm forever unplugging and plugging in cables for HDDs and other things.

If the Apple wired KB has USB 3 ports then that'd be handy. I'll use one for a wireless mouse dongle and the other for either plugging in my iPhone/iPad or a portable HDD.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
iMacs used to come with a USB, no number pad keyboard. I picked one up on eBay. Not easy to search for, but it's the best of both worth it.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

I assume their USB 2 on the keyboard. But does the port matter for USB? I though it only mattered on the port on the computer? Guess it's a question I haven't spent much time on before.

The wired keyboard I have came with my 2007 iMac. I think they all come with the wireless keyboards now.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I like having a numeric pad so I use the wired keyboard when docked at my desk. When traveling I use the laptop's built-in keyboard.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
But does the port matter for USB? I though it only mattered on the port on the computer?

Nope, the hardware/firmware of the device must support USB3 specifications. Since the keyboard itself does not, you won't get USB3 speeds.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I personally prefer the wireless keyboard - the batteries last a good 4-6 months for me (using the Apple rechargable ones). I also use a magic trackpad which is located roughly where the numeric keypad would be on the full sized keyboard - which makes it (for me) more ergonomic.

My experience is that Apple keyboards pretty easy die when cleaning them, or at least a few keys do. No Apple keyboards for me any more. Also no way to open and repair them.

You must be cleaning them wrong. Mine have survived a monthly wipe with a damp cloth for a number of years.

mjt57

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
South Eastern Australia
I assume their USB 2 on the keyboard. But does the port matter for USB?

Yes, you're right. They're USB 2. I did what I should've done before asking the question - looked it up on the Apple site.

I would like them to be USB 3 so I could plug a USB 3 based storage drive into one of them. But I can use it for sync'ing my iPad and iPhone instead. I don't think that they have USB 3 ports. The other port can be used for a wireless mouse dongle.

I've decided that I don't like the "magic" mouse that I got with my Macbook Air. Not all that ergonomic and doesn't have a clickable scroll wheel. So, a standard MS or Logitech mouse can connect to the other USB port. This will then leave me 3 spare USB 3 ports at the back for storage device connections.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I use a wireless keyboard at home and a wired at work. Both feel exactly the same. I suppose if you like the look of wireless like me you should go with that.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I have both

One advantage with the wireless kb is that without the numeric keypad is that you can place a right hand mouse or trackpad closer to your normal typing position, not having a numeric keypad in the way. It's a small thing but I think less reach is more comfort.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013

I bought a Mac Mini recently, having converted from a long time Windows user. The MM has 4 USB 3 ports, all of which are filled with cables for mouse, keyboard, data cable for iphone/ipad and an external USB DVD burner.

So, I'm forever unplugging and plugging in cables for HDDs and other things.

If the Apple wired KB has USB 3 ports then that'd be handy. I'll use one for a wireless mouse dongle and the other for either plugging in my iPhone/iPad or a portable HDD.

They're USB 2 (+ backwards compatible). USB 3 was only relatively recently released to the developers so older USB keyboards by definition must have on USB 2.0/1.0 ports.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I have both wired and bluetooth, but only use the wired apple keyboard now. Don't use the numpad ever, and wish Apple would make a wired keyboard without the numpad, but they won't. Wired keyboard for me is less of a hassle, and more reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.