Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intothepolis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Pandora
I'm in the market for a new "setup." Currently I've been using a 13" cMBP for about two years now and I'm ready to buy something new. I have always envied the 15" users for their roomier screens and nicer speakers. However, as I used my 13" in college I enjoyed the portability and small form factor. I am planning to return to school in about a years time so I do want something I can still tote around campus. But, I also want something with a larger screen. So, I'm thinking about buying an iMac and a 13" Retina MBP. Or, a 15" rMBP and calling it a day. My questions to you are whether or not you prefer one machine or if two machines has worked out better for you. I've never owned more than one computer. Is it a pain to maintain two machines? Is it a hassle to transfer files and data from one to another? Also, what about backing up files in the cloud, can I back up files from the iMac and the MBP to the same iCloud storage file? Lots of NOOB questions so I apologize in advance. Thanks for your input! :apple:

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Its all personal preference on how you like your files. If you keep everything on an external hard drives, then 2 computers doesn't seem like an issue.

My personal stance on it though, I prefer 1 computer over two any day. I just like taking around one computer and keeping all my data stored on a single system. That way I don't have to worry about syncing two computers or worrying about throwing all my files onto the external drive. Plus most of my files are integrated with iTunes or iPhoto libraries, and I don't want to have to attach an external hardrive to use those programs.

Id say go for the 15" rMBP, Ive used it the last 2 semesters of college and its been great. Its no hassle to carry around. Desk space is minimal though in a standard classroom or lecture hall with individual desks instead of long tables. But from my experience, I do not regret anything from my 15". Id make the same choice tomorrow if given the choice again

intothepolis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Pandora
Its all personal preference on how you like your files. If you keep everything on an external hard drives, then 2 computers doesn't seem like an issue.

My personal stance on it though, I prefer 1 computer over two any day. I just like taking around one computer and keeping all my data stored on a single system. That way I don't have to worry about syncing two computers or worrying about throwing all my files onto the external drive. Plus most of my files are integrated with iTunes or iPhoto libraries, and I don't want to have to attach an external hardrive to use those programs.

Id say go for the 15" rMBP, Ive used it the last 2 semesters of college and its been great. Its no hassle to carry around. Desk space is minimal though in a standard classroom or lecture hall with individual desks instead of long tables. But from my experience, I do not regret anything from my 15". Id make the same choice tomorrow if given the choice again

Thanks for your reply. I took a tour of the law school I'm planning to attend and they do use long tables in the classroom so desk space shouldn't be an issue. It seems like if you're going to have just one machine the 15" is the way to go.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
For work, I maintain 2 machines with the second Mac as backup in case of unexpected repairs during a rush deadline. Though it's a matter of personal preference whether to just go for 1 machine. Wasn't much of a hassle to maintain 2 Macs. Another benefit is whenever you do software or OS updates and sometimes you encounter bugs or glitches or some apps are no longer working under the new update, you could easily revert back to the old settings by cloning the HD from the other second Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.