Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
I want to know if anyone here has ran Mavericks on their late '08 MacBook. If so, how does it perform? What are the specs of your laptop, also?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I have not run any of the beta's of Mavericks, but seeing as the Macbook is at the bottom end of the supported devices for Mavericks, I think we can all safely assume that, while Mavericks will run on the supported models of Macbooks, its not going to be the same as running it on an i series intel processor. Since no one knows what yours or my expectations are in terms of performance, we'll just have to wait. Also, a beta is not a good measure of how the final gold master will run, although it might give some indication.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I am actually running it right now (DP7) on my Late 2008 MacBook (2.4GHz, 8GB, 120GB SSD + 750GB HDD). It is also my main machine so it gets used daily. So far I have noticed it to actually be smoother than Mountain Lion as far as the animations and transitions go. So that is good news. Some of the issues I had were due to prerelease software and many of the bugs have been fixed or are being fixed.

Overall I am very happy with the performance of Mavericks. I've ran everything from Leopard to Mavericks on this and I would say Mavericks is the fastest so far next to Snow Leopard though I've made many upgrades since then. Namely an 8GB RAM upgrade and a SSD. If you ever want to breathe new life into your Mac, get an SSD. You can even put it in the optical bay if you want to keep a hard disk for storage as I've done.

My main tasks on this are web browsing, school work (MS Office), iTunes, and lots of photo management and editing. I primarily use Aperture in conjunction with Photoshop CS6 for my photography and haven't ran into any major issues with either on Mavericks. And I stress it with lots of RAW images and huge panoramas usually eating up 5-6GB RAM alone. So it is also very stable as far as a beta goes. Though I would still not suggest it for a main os till it is released (duh).

I also use Parallels with Win 7 a lot for some Windows specific programs I need for school, and with Parallels 9 it runs pretty well, but I store the VM on my SSD so thats part of it being so fast.

I've also ran it on a Mid 2007 iMac (W/4GB and SSD) and it runs surprisingly well for the age, though it was dog slow with the original HDD and having been upgraded from Tiger :eek:

Last edited:

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
I already ordered 8GB RAM, I just have to wait for it to get here. When I get a job, I'll put an SSD in this. I'm hoping I'll get hired at a local computer shop, that way I might get some sort of employee discount on parts...

peterlily

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
that right,I am still waiting to cash in on the SSD speed. Eventually I will. thanks
8v

znc03

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Do you guys think I can upgrade my late 2008 macbook even if I have 4 Gb and no ssd without losing performance ? I a currently running snow leopard.
Also I thought we could not put more than 4Gb on this macbook?
Where do you add the extra SSD? Is it possible to have two hard drives inside these laptops?

HIMAN1998

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Richmond, VA
Do you guys think I can upgrade my late 2008 macbook even if I have 4 Gb and no ssd without losing performance ? I a currently running snow leopard.
Also I thought we could not put more than 4Gb on this macbook?
Where do you add the extra SSD? Is it possible to have two hard drives inside these laptops?

I run 8gb ram in mine. Runs fine. Second HDD/SSD goes in superdrive bay. If you dont use dvds, you can replace superdrive with an ssd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.