Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I am using premiere pro.

I have used photoshop filters that allow me to fake a blue, red or green filter on black and white shots.

I want to do the same in premiere. Anyone know how?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Filters are applied on hierarchical basis whereby one is applied then the next and so on.

To achieve the look of filters you would have to apply a colour correction filter and then a black and white filter below.

The B&W filter in premiere is just a simple desaturation.

After applying the black and white filter you can go back and adjust the settings in the colour correction to change the tones of the B&W video.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I gave that a try but it appears that the green, blue and red are all tied together. So if I try to change the red gamma, the gamma on all of them changes. Am I missing something?:confused:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I gave that a try but it appears that the green, blue and red are all tied together. So if I try to change the red gamma, the gamma on all of them changes. Am I missing something?:confused:

As he said, first color correct the footage so that it looks WAY to red or WAY to green. Save it. Then go back and convert to black and white.

The key step is to fist get the color way out of whack like a colored filter would do

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I did that and then all the levels went right back to where they were.

ANother question:

would a UV filter change the look once I put the image to BW?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I did that and then all the levels went right back to where they were.

ANother question:

would a UV filter change the look once I put the image to BW?

If you do it with 'RGB curves' it will work.

a UV filter should technically only lessen the transmission of light and have no effect on the image in camera.

Cheaper filters might have a slight tint to them however, and cause some dodgy flares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.