Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know there is Bootcamp v3,4, and 5. I know that certain versions of Bootcamp were available depending on which version of MacOSX was purchased. And that certain versions of Bootcamp only support certain versions of Windows. See this link. What I don't know is what version of Bootcamp was released with which versions of MacOS?

This was my premise and it may be in error:
Different versions of the MacOS only support specific versions of Windows. Be sure to understand what version of Windows your Mac can support. For example Snow Leopard & Lion (10.6, 10.7) only supports Windows 7 and 8. I believe Leopard (10.5) supports Vista.

So can any version of MacOSX 5 or newer run any version of Bootcamp? If you have a good link which describes this relationship, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think I have sorted it out. There are several PC Game guides I manage here at MacRumors. I have tweaked the "Play it on your Mac" section to state the following:

*Verify Which Version of Windows Your Mac Supports: Different Macs only support specific versions of Windows. Check this link: Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems. It includes a chart indicating which Mac models support which versions of Windows. Depending on the MacOS that came with your computer and the included version of Bootcamp, the following can be used as a general guide: Bootcamp V3 supports Win XP and Vista. Bootcamp V4 supports Windows7. Bootcamp V5 supports Windows7 & 8. I don't know if a Mac that came with Bootcamp v3 will support Bootcamp v5. For guidance, check the chart and see what version of Windows your Mac supports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.