Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kf9vh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
Wondering if as more software updates come out will it render older Ipads (2&3) useless.

I have an Ipad 3 and while it seems to be working fairly well it is not as responsive as it once was. Best Buy is giving up to $200 on a trade in and I am considering taking the hit and getting a new mini 2. I am disappointed in the service life of the Ipad 3.

Anyone else thinking the same?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Thinking that iOS 8 will slow down older hardware? Probably. iOS has a history of doing that.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Wondering if as more software updates come out will it render older Ipads (2&3) useless.

I have an Ipad 3 and while it seems to be working fairly well it is not as responsive as it once was. Best Buy is giving up to $200 on a trade in and I am considering taking the hit and getting a new mini 2. I am disappointed in the service life of the Ipad 3.

Anyone else thinking the same?

If I had to guess based on Apple's previous history I would say that the iPad 3 will not get iOS 8. Usually the devices that are 'overpowered' compared to their predecessor get lots of iOS updates and the one before that gets relatively few.

eg. the 3GS was a huge jump over the 3G in speed, and it got iOS 3, 4, 5, 6. The 3G got 3 and 4 but 5 was a disaster.

The 4S was a huge jump over the 4 and got iOS 5, 6, 7, and probably 8 because 7 is still smooth on it. The 4 got 4, 5, 6 and 7 but 6 and 7 are much slower than 5 was.

The iPad 2 was a huge jump over the original and got iOS 5, 6, and 7, but that's probably it. The original got 4 and 5 but 5 was a disaster on it.

I suspect that the iPad 3, considering how slow it is on iOS 7, will not progress past iOS 7.

Just my guess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.