Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hey guys, according to gamezone news, Metro Last Light will be released for Mac and it will be released for linux as well, but linux version will be released later than Mac version. Except App Store, Steam is going to allow you to download Mac version, unlike some of games. ( Rage, Lego, First Borderland etc) There's no sign from Release date, which is expected this fall.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
No. It's based on a version of the developers' in-house 4A Engine first used in Metro 2033.

Ahh. Well, their in-game screenshots, the models have an eerie resemblance to the graphics style of Unreal and Unreal Tournament games of the early 2000s. It's a rendering style that I am fond of. Like below:

321_crop890x507.png

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I thought the Metro series to be very demanding on the hardware and considering how Mac versions always run worse, who's going to enjoy this on decent framerate? Mac Pro owners?:)

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I thought the Metro series to be very demanding on the hardware and considering how Mac versions always run worse, who's going to enjoy this on decent framerate? Mac Pro owners?:)

Sounds about right.

I'm going to put a GTX 660 3GB Superclocked+ card in mine. All those FPS :D

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Can I play Last Light on my Mac Mini 2012, HD Graphics 4000?
Or am I aiming too high?
I don't "need" best settings (obviously), but I'm wondering if it's playable at all on average settings?

I've tried to find more info about this, but nothing concrete, so I decided to ask the people who actually (may) have the game.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Metro even made it to the Mac App Store this week.

Unfortunately the devs of Metro forgot to put any information regarding recommended or required System Requirements at the MAS. Very irresponsible, since that will lead to many people downloading the game and then finding out it's almost unplayable on their Macs.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

Unfortunately the devs of Metro forgot to put any information regarding recommended or required System Requirements at the MAS. Very irresponsible, since that will lead to many people downloading the game and then finding out it's almost unplayable on their Macs.

That is unfortunate. I am surprised the MAS does not require the posting of system requirements.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Steam does, however, post the Mac requirements and recommendations. For the benefit of those readers who might not have a chance to view that, here they are:

Minimum:
Processor: 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: 3.2 GHz quad core Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVidia Geforce GTX 680MX with 1GB

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Steam does, however, post the Mac requirements and recommendations. For the benefit of those readers who might not have a chance to view that, here they are:

Minimum:
Processor: 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB

Recommended:
Processor: 3.2 GHz quad core Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVidia Geforce GTX 680MX with 1GB

I know little about gfx cards.
Is the HD Graphics 4000 (1GB) "better" than the minimum required?

It's on sale until later today and I'd like to know more of what I can expect with my MacMini.
The processor and RAM are ok, but the gfx card is what I fear, even though I've yet to experience major problems playing similar games on my system.

I can live with lower settings, if they are at least "acceptable". Lower resolution, low detail, no problem, but not Spectrum-type graphics! ;)

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
I know little about gfx cards.
Is the HD Graphics 4000 (1GB) "better" than the minimum required?

It's on sale until later today and I'd like to know more of what I can expect with my MacMini.
The processor and RAM are ok, but the gfx card is what I fear, even though I've yet to experience major problems playing similar games on my system.

I can live with lower settings, if they are at least "acceptable". Lower resolution, low detail, no problem, but not Spectrum-type graphics! ;)

The HD4000 is an integrated card and below the minimum requirements. That said, take a look at this video running the game on a 13-inch, Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with HD4000 graphics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2KsrAUOg1o.

I picked up the game on sale as well and run it on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012 w/NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M 512MB) at the native 1440-by-900 resolution at low-medium settings for a steady 45-50 frames per second; the game still looks amazing at lower detail settings, surprisingly. I prefer smoother gameplay over better looking graphics.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
The HD4000 is an integrated card and below the minimum requirements. That said, take a look at this video running the game on a 13-inch, Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with HD4000 graphics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2KsrAUOg1o.

I picked up the game on sale as well and run it on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012 w/NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M 512MB) at the native 1440-by-900 resolution at low-medium settings for a steady 45-50 frames per second; the game still looks amazing at lower detail settings, surprisingly. I prefer smoother gameplay over better looking graphics.

It seems good enough for me.
The gfx quality is noticeably worse than some videos I watched, but that is to be expected. Like you, I prefer smooth gameplay, that's why I rarely play at the maximum settings, even on games that would allow it with few problems.

What I would not want is for it to be unplayable even at low settings!
From what I had read in many different places (the incredibly high Last light requirements!), that was something I should be aware of.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Bought the game!
Played around a bit.

Strangely, there is only one quality knob. No apparent way to change resolution or any other option.

Still, the game plays ok. ;)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Bought the game!
Played around a bit.

Strangely, there is only one quality knob. No apparent way to change resolution or any other option.

Still, the game plays ok. ;)

I don't have the game yet so I can't check, but there's got to be a .ini file somewhere.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
I don't have the game yet so I can't check, but there's got to be a .ini file somewhere.

I saw videos of the prefs (PC) and there were multiple options. One of those was to set a different resolution.

That's why I found it strange that the Mac version only has a "all-in-one" option.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Anyone worked out how to do this yet, i.e. change resolution, or edit the config file which I presume is the user.cfg one?

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I thought this game was punishing on PCs (in terms of system requirements), but heard good things about it. Always happy to see more titles make their way to the Mac platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.