Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple quietly added Burst Mode improvements to the iPhone 5s with its iOS 7.0.2 update, reports GottaBeMobile. First debuted in late September, iOS 7.0.2 was introduced to fix lock screen passcode vulnerabilities.

Burst Mode, an iPhone 5s feature, is designed to capture 10 photos per second while the camera capture button is held down, which is useful for getting shots of moving targets but uses up quite a bit of storage space.

Before iOS 7.0.2, Burst Mode asked users to save favorite shots but did not delete the whole roll of photos, while after iOS 7.0.2, users are prompted to choose to save just their favorites and given the option to delete the rest of the photos by tapping a button. This is a useful addition that saves Burst Mode users from having to manually delete multiple photos, a time consuming process.

burstmode.jpg
While iOS now offers to delete photos not saved to favorites after a Burst Mode capture, users can also elect to save the entire line of shots. iPhone 5s users should already have iOS 7.0.2 as it was released in September via an over-the-air update. Apple has also released iOS 7.0.3, which includes iCloud Keychain, new motion reduction options, and a fix for an accelerometer issue.

Article Link: Burst Mode Improvements Added to iPhone 5s Camera With iOS 7.0.2

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I have yet to get iCloud Keychain to work on my phone in 7.0.3. Tried every method suggested by Apple, but to no avail.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I am glad they put this in! I was annoyed at having to pick favorites then separate find and delete the photos.

Why a cat? The cat isn't moving...

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
7.0.3 also includes an endless reboot cycle for me. Not happy.

UPDATE: Apple is going to replace the device. Happy.

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
how is this news? we're on iOS 7.0.3 already

But this change was in 7.0.2, not 7.0.3, and wasn't previously reported. It wouldn't make sense for MR to say "added with 7.0.3," nor to ignore the change and not report it just because another patch number is out.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I am glad they put this in! I was annoyed at having to pick favorites then separate find and delete the photos.

cats turn their heads all the time. burst mode is perfect for cats.

----------

I have yet to get iCloud Keychain to work on my phone in 7.0.3. Tried every method suggested by Apple, but to no avail.

whats that got to do with burst mode? try the support forums.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Yes. Your cat is adorable. But you didn't need write a whole new article to show it off :D

Well, the article was coming with or without a cat, think of it as an added bonus!

----------

She was actually moving around, you just can't tell because Burst Mode worked so well!

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
That feature wasn't added in 7.0.2 it was added in 7.0.3.

The day after 7.0.3 was released there was a thread all about it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1659287/

All other news sites reporting it are quoting 7.0.3 as well

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Perfect, seeing as I take most photos using burst mode I was starting to get ticked off at keeping a bunch of extra photos. Thanks MR for letting us know.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK

Even with a still subject, your hand might well be moving. As a very clumsy not-very-good photo taker, I've found that burst mode has improved my photo results dramatically — I just use it as standard now, and this recent change means there's very little overhead to doing so. :cool:

hushypushy

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
San Jose, CA
Beautiful Maine Coon! I came into the forum just to post that :cool:

I just upgraded from 4 to 5S last week. No accidental activation of burst yet, but I'm already in the habit of simply tapping the shutter button instead of holding my finger down anyway...

Here's a fairly old (iPhone 3G) photo of my Maine Coon :)

3802441123_d5f5ac760a_z.jpg

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Clearly you've never tried to take a picture of one...

No I don't have a cat, sorry. I have bunnies though, and even at the slow motion they tend to go blurry because of the speed:) But I love the burst mode.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
This option was a glaring omission in iOS7.0. Just before i upgraded to 7 and the the 5s i used that snappy cam app, which had this same way of keeping one photo, delete the rest. Then when i saw that iOS7 didn't do this i thought "way don't they do the same?!"

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Just wondering if I'm the only one who seems to constantly use burst mode on accident?

I do it all the time, which is sometimes convenient.

I am also suddenly unsure of what the technical reason of why the 4S doesn't get the same menu (as I delete 27 shots taken in burst one by one, which is inconvenient).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.